Sure way to emplace infantry in foxholes

Bahger

I am doing a setup turn and when I move an infantry team to a cluster of foxholes it does not appear that they actually go in the foxholes.  Obviously it is important to get them to avail themselves of the protection; is there any way to make sure that all the infantry are in the foxholes rather than merely adjacent to them?  Many thanks.

I am doing a setup turn and when I move an infantry team to a cluster of foxholes it does not appear that they actually go in the foxholes.  Obviously it is important to get them to avail themselves of the protection; is there any way to make sure that all the infantry are in the foxholes rather than merely adjacent to them?  Many thanks.

I make sure the action spot of the foxholes is highlighted and then click on it.  After that the Face command can help some.  Also, if your not already doing this, you may want to split your squads into teams so everybody gets a spot.  

foxholes dont all ways work properly if they are placed on steep ground. So a) for ease of use, place foxholes on level terrain (There are tricks to get it done properly with steep terrain but that takes time and experience) B) Use face command to find the sweet spot c) split squads. Foxholes are optimal for 3-4 man teams or two separate teams of 2-3 men. Anything more may result in suboptimal placement and also gets a lot of men killed if there is a direct hit.

Also foxholes dont like ditches so suggest avoiding them or use a trench instead which works wonderfully with ditches.

hide only keeps your troops safe inside the foxholes but does not really help with them actually getting in to one properly. at least not in my experience. Hide is a must command during artillery strikes if you want to maximize the effectiveness of your foxholes. Otherwise the troops just keep popping up and get killed by shrapnel.

I'm not entirely sure how abstracted fox holes are, whether you need to be physically in them rather than on their action square to receive the benefit. I probably knew the answer three years ago but the answer has entirely flown from my head.

That is a very good point.  A cluster of foxholes is a real 3-d object but there is an action square placed firmly in the center, giving me the impression that, yes, it is partially abstracted.