Trenches from CM: Afghanistan

fry30

Why isn't there an option to include trenches in the fences/walls catagory ala Combat Mission Afghanistan. I remember reading something about including certain ways of creating steep grades in Combat Mission Red Thunder's editor, but so fat I haven't seen anything. It was so useful in CMA, and they really resemble actual trenches, with the cover to boot. Furthermore, they are actual indentations in the earth, and are organic to the map.

Just my 2 cents; it should at least be an option.

What Baneman said. I have not played Combat Mission Afghanistan but I have played a lot of CMSF, and in that game it also uses trenches similar to those that you have described. When I am setting up my forces and observing the terrain, I can always see the enemy trench lines and know to either immediately suppress them or to be wary of them when I advance. 

While I understand why you may prefer the old trench system, I think the new one they have introduced is better overall for reality sake. That doesn't mean that they cannot continue to refine it however. I'm sure they will as new patches are released and new modules come out for CMRT

From the manual:

Ditch Contours" feature. Map editor elevation changes can be "sharp" by holding the control key when
clicking tile elevations. This allows the creation of realistic ditch contours

I'm not sure if this can be used to create CMSF/CMA-style trenches, but if it can, this would be how you'd do it.

Oh I didn't know they were supposed to be hidden. That makes a damned good point. Maybe my ulterior motives have something to do with it, (I want to recreate WW1 battles using straggler companies) but that never even crossed my mind.

However, when I was playing them in CMA, I didn't see them so much as trenches, as they were areas of known entrenchment. You can keep trenches as they are in all subsequent releases. but I think some maps, aka war torn defense in depth type battles, would really benefit from their inclusion. Both sides know that forces are built up to the north, hiding in the building by the copse, etc. etc.

I am glad they are no longer the preferred method of cover for your units, I like placing foxholes and trenches, I still think they can be organic to the map.

I generally look at a map and think... gee, X, Y, Z: those are all great places to attack/defend/avoid. I don't think the addition of trenches will throw this off too much.

And to my second point, and thanks again for replying guys, is there a way of creating these in game with the 3.o engine?

If anyone is interested, I will be posting this in a different thread later on..... http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5474/details

There is a CMRT battle done with a fixed trench line that is really good.  There are limitations based on depth that you can do have a position on map etc, but you should check out the battle.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=3205

Beware playing it.  Your forces are over matched and the fighting is desperate, but for what it is trying to achieve, I think it is darn near perfect.