Continue battle after victory

Hafer

Why? The mopping up phase is tedious and frustrating beyond measure. You just lose more troops. You've already won, and the chances are the battle conditions are set to make the end game deeply unrealated to military reality (since broken troops can't always leave the map and just run around like headless chickens).

If the AI could be adjusted with triggers to a sort of "post battle" state then it could actually be pretty interesting. Presenting a "scenario within a scenario" sort of thing. When i've won or lost the larger battles i'm often still interested in the periphery stuff that is still happening or undecided. Now that you've won the mission do you reclaim taken objectives? Take prisoners? Recover hardware? A post battle AI trigger might cause the AI to head for an "exit" back in its own setup area. Or maybe you would want to try and extricate as much of your own force as possible from an operation gone wrong? 

TBH I feel that whenever a scenario makes a point of casualty figures being relevant to score their should be exits for the forces involved. Tactical withdrawals were a real thing. 

It may be useful sometimes, like when the game ends before I can administer buddy aid to soldiers incapacitated in the last turns before the ending screen. Or, when I REALLY want to hunt down that one unit which was making my life miserable during the game. 

Edited by kulik

Or, when I REALLY want to hunt down that one unit which was making my life miserable during the game. 

This.  Once in CMBN I'd basically killed the hell out of everything the Germans had, except for this one Panzer that always seemed to get a magic spot in and kill some infantry or kill/damage a tank.  Without fail "HALLO I AM HANS!" bam, it killed something.

Rest of his platoon?  Slaughtered.  Didn't leave an impact.  German infantry?  Dead in their holes.  But this one stupid MK IV always managed to just escape after killing something.

So right as I had him dead to rights, gun knocked out, three Shermans bearing down on him, that last firepower kill apparently was the breaking point and the Germans surrendered.

I have to imagine it was fairly likely Hans and his crew were shot while attempted to escape, but it'd have been nice to watch the tank burn.

On the Eastern front shooting would have been far too good for him.  On the whole, U.S. troops in France, though, were amazingly self restrained according to everything I ever read about it. You do get more surrenders that way. And yes, I know you knew that, but there less encyclopedically knowledgeable people reading the board. :)

On the Eastern front shooting would have been far too good for him.  On the whole, U.S. troops in France, though, were amazingly self restrained according to everything I ever read about it. You do get more surrenders that way. And yes, I know you knew that, but there less encyclopedically knowledgeable people reading the board.  :)

I think I joined the military at least at first to give purpose to knowing half the stuff I do.

The POW-friendly attitude does see a bit of a decline after the Ardennes.  One of the things the movie Fury really needs to be commended for is showing what the American Army looked like on D+210 in terms of mentality and veteran nature.  

On the Eastern front shooting would have been far too good for him.  On the whole, U.S. troops in France, though, were amazingly self restrained according to everything I ever read about it. You do get more surrenders that way. And yes, I know you knew that, but there less encyclopedically knowledgeable people reading the board. :)

Some historians are arguing that something like more than a million soviet soldiers were shot by the germans while surrendering, or immediately after, mostly during the early stages of barbarossa  (probably local commanders interpreted that way the order by which Hitler instructed the wermacht to shoot political commisars or personnel related to the communist party). In such a setting I would not expect the enemy to come at me with chocolates and smokes after throwing my hands up, specially if I was the crew of the tank you mentioned.