Are morale effects and suppression more forgiving than in CM1?

Zveroboy1

Please forgive me if this has already been debated ad nauseum before. Just assume I have been living under a rock and haven't touched CM2 since Shock Force.

From someone coming from CM1 and who has played an ungodly amount of CMBB and CMAK, one of the things that struck me the most with CMRT is the effect of morale and suppression. It seems to me that it has been toned down quite significantly. I seem to remember having my pixel troops get pinned down for several minutes frequently, being unable to move or react for several turns, whereas with CM2 it looks like suppression wears off very rapidly. The whole morale/suppression model seems a lot more forgiving.

Please bear in mind, my experience with CMRT is quite limited so it is entirely possible I am not seeing the full picture, but am I getting the wrong impression here or is this an accepted fact?

I have a vague memory of suppression effects being adjusted in some of the lists of changes in a patch in recent years. Can't remember if it was being increased or decreased now, but it seems BFC has paid attention to the effects. 

The game might be a lot less playable if the pixeltruppen were more reluctant to raise their heads, shoot, and move, when being shot at.

Please bear in mind, my experience with CMRT is quite limited so it is entirely possible I am not seeing the full picture, but am I getting the wrong impression here or is this an accepted fact?

I don't know CMx1 that well, but from a max suppression bar to clear suppression bar takes around 30-60 seconds in CMRT, generally speaking. Morale is harder to quantify, but most infantry units -- placed in scenarios or purchased in quick battles -- are fairly resilient and will not reach broken status until taking at least half their number as casualties.

Edited by Apocal

One thing that has definitely changed between x1 and x2 is that split squads no longer suffer an inherent morale penalty. So splitting your squads into their component teams makes them more resilient rather than less, since losses from another team don't as drastically affect teams split from the same squad as if the squad had remained intact, and suppression on a given team has little or no (certainly no immediate tactical "heads-down") effect on other split teams from the same squad.

My recollection of discussion on the matter was that BFC thought the suppression and morale effects of BB were too severe, and they have indeed been toned down some.