Tweaked Textures fro Beta Demo

Ok

Its all done - and its on my website - about 3.5 meg total.

http://www.geocities.com/coolcol/

Basicly I wanted the game to look like it was sunny, because there is a blue sky right?! smile.gif And I also sharpened up the vehicle GFX a bit, tweaked the soldiers a tiny bit here and there, changed the river texture. I think it looks a lot better wink.gif Still slightly rough, but I'll wait till the full version is out to go crazy wink.gif I may not need to tweak it....

But I recommend everyone to check it out! It greatly enhances CM's visual

Here judge for your self! wink.gif

Before---

CM_textureORG.jpg

After- wink.gif

CM_textureCCJ.jpg

Please let me know what you think smile.gif

Hehe - actually that girl is eating a Lemon smile.gif yuck

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

My HomePage -----> www.geocities.com/coolcolj/

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 12-09-99).]

Some texture changes I'd like to see are soldiers in black funeral suits, and bullseyes on any tank that I use.

Actually, just put crosses on the grass texture and remove my men. It'll speed up the inevetable.

CoolColJ,

Unfortunately, Mac users do not see the same thing PC users see. The Mac version of CM stores the images for the game in three resource files. This is in many ways better than 15000 separate images, and in many ways worse. (No Platform War!) I suppose you could write a converter that extracts the picts from the resource to bmps and vice versa. I don't think it would be a significant coding task, but I'm not farmiliar enough with the file structures to pull it off...

Do you remember which textures you changed by any chance? I can copy them 1 by 1 but there are so many...

Bill

[This message has been edited by billcarey (edited 12-09-99).]

Hmm

Ok can you do thumbnails of the BMP files, that would make a lot easier smile.gif Main things - sky, all tanks, soldiers, all the grass/ground textures, the river (blue one), bridge, all the buildings, all the infantry weapons - just about everything! smile.gif except the tress...

BTW does it look as dark on the mac as it does on the PC (the original textures) ?

Ps - if you pull it off smile.gif Let me know and I'll host the mac version on my site as well smile.gif

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 12-10-99).]

Ok

ANother texture mod smile.gif

I've added a Plain Grass texture for download on my website -

basicly to give the Beta Demo a nice clean look, for those who like that minatures feel

I designed it to be used with my Tweaked Textures set, I haven't tried using it with the original texture set, you have been warned smile.gif

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

Berlichtingen

<quote>

Not to start a platform war, but how is it worse?

</quote>

I am speaking primarily from a knowledge of the way the mac handles images and resources. If the PC does it very different somehow, then tell me and I will say nothing more.

From a coding standpoint it is *much* easier on the mac to work with resources than with individual pucture files. i.e. instead of using the file manager to open 15k files you use it to open say, three. Also, loading resources to memory is easier than loding picture files on the mac. If the coding is different on the pc it may be better to use pics.

Orgainization:

You can give the pictures both a number and a name. This is useful for finding the "scattered trees" texture without knowing that it is pict number 74854.

If you are in the mood you can group picts in resources by what they are so that there is a file for terrain, a file for tanks, etc. BTS did not do this, but it could be done.

Also having 3 files clutters the filing system much less (and copies faster and is smaller) My graphics file is 5.5mb and the BMPs are 8.8mb. This will be significant when the whole game is released.

Resources have problems to (corruption...) and you need to have res-edit to play with them. A dangerous but fun program...

BTW: Does anyone know what BMPs look like (internally) I need to know thier file structure before I play with a shape shuttle for CM. Are they compressed?

- Bill

Guest KwazyDog

Just so you guys know, the textures in the latest betas for the grass have been changed dramatically from the ones in the beta demo smile.gif

They really did come out looking awesome. Theyve added a lot to the 'feel' of the game.

I think it is mostly being coded on a Mac, but obviously there is simultanous work done on the PC (well, I suspect that Charles is a good coder, and as such, most of the code is platform independent anyway.) As for why, I assume it's becuase Charles and Steve are both Mac users wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Ben Galanti (edited 12-10-99).]