The way soldiers carry machine guns wrong?

This is known and has been discussed before. It's not so much an error as it is a compromise due to the limits of available resources.

Infantry animations are a huge time suck. For the most part, the game only one, or sometimes a few, generic soldier animations per action, with minor adjustments for things like weapon size. This still results in quite a large list of necessary animations. You have animations for MOVE, QUICK, FAST, SLOW, HUNT, and also special movement actions like jumping over a wall. Then you've got animations for actions that happen while in place -- cowering, shooting while prone, shooting while kneeling, shooting while standing, reloading, throwing a grenade (this one again from prone, kneeling, and standing), looking through binos... I could go on.

Creating unique animations to tailor all of these actions to specific weapons would require exponentially more work.

The end result is that you get things that aren't 100% accurate like an MG42 being carried on a shoulder sling.

BFC has gradually added some new soldier animations over the course of development of the CMx2 engine, and it reasonable to assume we'll eventually get more. Who knows; maybe someday we'll get a special animation for MGs so they're carried on top of the shoulder rather than on the sling. But there are never going to be enough animations to represent every weapon 100% faithfully to the way it was supposed to be carried and used.

Technically it's not incorrect as that method of carrying the 34 when on the march is mentioned in the 1942 MG34 Butz manual I have. BFC has the position is a little high in the screenshot. It's pretty uncomfortable, though, which is why you probably don't see it being carried like that too often.

Here are the pages from the manual that show how to carry the MG34 when marching:

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

and in battle:

IMG_3075.jpg

Hahaha, depends on which side of the gun barrel you are. ;)

Am not complaining mind you. If that friend wouldn't mentioned about it to me I wouldn't even noticed it myself.

Am still more then happy and excited customer regardless of the gun carrying animation.

:D