Identifying campaigns vs scenarios in the repository

Russkly

Having found the two campaigns that shipped with CMRT a little large for my taste I have finally decided to ask a question that has been in my mind since the repository first started (whenever that was!):

There are lots of wonderful and painstakingly-created scenarios and campaigns in the repository, but how do you tell a campaign apart from a scenario without reading the description?

What I'm looking for are smaller user-made campaigns (such as a thoroughly excellent PIR mini-campaign for CMBN whose name now escapes me).

Any guidance, or should I just continue to read through all the descriptions to find the campaigns?

R

Having found the two campaigns that shipped with CMRT a little large for my taste I have finally decided to ask a question that has been in my mind since the repository first started (whenever that was!):

There are lots of wonderful and painstakingly-created scenarios and campaigns in the repository, but how do you tell a campaign apart from a scenario without reading the description?

What I'm looking for are smaller user-made campaigns (such as a thoroughly excellent PIR mini-campaign for CMBN whose name now escapes me).

Any guidance, or should I just continue to read through all the descriptions to find the campaigns?

R

It is not always a finite number , but look at the size of the download. MOST of the battles are 2,000kb or less. The campaigns tend to be much larger. If you just look at the detailed descriptions of the ones larger than that, it might narrow it down a lot for you.

Thx for the reply, Jim.

That's my guide too, although you get scenarios from >2Mb to <10Kb!

The only campaign I could find was Michael Jones's Thunder Over Ponyri V2, which I've downloaded but not yet started. It is, however 2.9Mb, so perhaps you're right about the size thing.

I suppose the fact that it's the only user-made campaign touches on umlaut's post of today discussing the whole user-made scenarios/campaigns topic.

In all my years of playing CM right from its inception, I've never made the effort to try to design a scenario. Maybe it's time I learned, because what comes as stock with each release seems to be diminishing (without having gone back through each release and assessed the number of default campaigns).

I've always felt so overawed by the expertise of others on this forum, however, in terms of their detailed WWII and CM scenario design expertise that I've never tried.

Maybe time to learn some new skills, both for my own benefit and perhaps even for that of others.

R

Yeah, try it. Designing a scenario is a lot work, but very rewarding. Start small. Start simple. The best scenarios are the ones that are actually finished. Don't be tempted to start out with that super duper battalion sized historically extremely accurate mega monster battle you have been dreaming about for years. Chances are, you will run out of steam long before it is even close to being finished.

Save yourself a lot of time and use an existing map. Adapt it if need be, it will still save you a lot of time. Maybe find some inspiration in existing board game scenarios. Use their OOB and/or background stories as a start and build from there.

Join the Scenario Maker Guild for true glory :D

Yeah, try it. Designing a scenario is a lot work, but very rewarding. Start small. Start simple. The best scenarios are the ones that are actually finished. Don't be tempted to start out with that super duper battalion sized historically extremely accurate mega monster battle you have been dreaming about for years. Chances are, you will run out of steam long before it is even close to being finished.

Save yourself a lot of time and use an existing map. Adapt it if need be, it will still save you a lot of time. Maybe find some inspiration in existing board game scenarios. Use their OOB and/or background stories as a start and build from there.

Join the Scenario Maker Guild for true glory :D

Thx for the advice, Mike.

I'll give it a try, and it will definitely be small! For me CM is predominantly an infantry game. At best for me it's played at no larger than than Coy vs Coy level on a map allowing for some manoeuvre.

R