TRPs

milesjb

I know this is a basic question but it's one I haven't been able to figure out. How can I get my on-map mortars to fire at a TRP? My mortars are set back from the MLR in woods. When I click on the Artillery tab they are sown as "denied". I thought I didn't need a spotter with a TRP.

Miles

I tried with one of my HQs and the artillery dialogue sys out of contact.

I guess I need some sort of contact but in this case the units are not in earshot or eyeshot of each other and neither have radios. So what's the point of TRPs in this situation. I guess I need to move the mortar team closer to the HQ.

With TRPs, it is abstractly assumed that fire on that location can be called for by pre-arranged signal.

For example: forward scout unit sees enemy approaching TRP in woods, fires off colored flare. HQ unit to rear sees flare, and orders mortar to fire on TRP.

So the "Spotter" (read: unit with authority to call in fire) doesn't need LOS to the TRP; he just needs someone to tell him that there's enemy there.

I tried with one of my HQs and the artillery dialogue sys out of contact.

I guess I need some sort of contact but in this case the units are not in earshot or eyeshot of each other and neither have radios. So what's the point of TRPs in this situation. I guess I need to move the mortar team closer to the HQ.

Or you need to make sure both your spotter and your mortars are tied into your radio net. Mortar teams themselves usually don't carry radios, but they can "share" a radio link provided by a nearby HQ or radio-equipped vehicle.

With TRPs, it is abstractly assumed that fire on that location can be called for by pre-arranged signal.

For example: forward scout unit sees enemy approaching TRP in woods, fires off colored flare. HQ unit to rear sees flare, and orders mortar to fire on TRP.

So the "Spotter" (read: unit with authority to call in fire) doesn't need LOS to the TRP; he just needs someone to tell him that there's enemy there.

Though he doesn't need even that, mechanically. A TRP doesn't need to be in LOS of any unit for fire to be called on it. While "speculative" fire might not be the best use for on-map mortars, it can be an effective use of the larger stuff.

The "Denied" marker on the support unit's "card" in the interface just means that the unit you currently have selected doesn't have the privileges to call fire from that asset. You get the same thing if you try and call a "FO required" asset from any HQ. But since you're talking about onmap mortars, it just means you don't have an HQ (or some XO units) selected that has permission to call for indirect fire missions. If the text said "Out of Control", you'd know you needed to tinker with their C2 links by providing radios as described by others. But any HQ on the map should (if the C2 links are intact) be able to use the on-map mortars to fire on locations within 50m of any TRP.