Sherriff of Oosterbeek: vehicle/underpass problem?

Hello

"The Sherriff of Ooosterbeek" SCENARIO SPOILERS BELOW:

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

I have just started playing the scenario "The Sherriff of Oosterbeek" after upgrading to 3.1. I gave orders to my two Stugs (that were at ground level on the road) to move under the railway underpass. I never watched them move but they have ended up like this:

33awac4.png

The two vehicles are superimposed on each other and have become stuck somehow off the ground apparently resting on the railway track.

Saved file is here.

I never played this prior to 3.1 so not sure if it is related to that.

Bull

I thought I recalled reading something similar so I searched and found this:

Sherriff of Oosterbeek | Can't pass under rail bridges

Looks like a bug in the way the map/underpass is made.

I thought this scenario came with CMBN:MG so I am unsure whether it's something BFC would want to see it fixed or if it is up to the player/scen designer to deal with.

In the biography of general Shan Hackett who was fighting at Oosterbeek there is mention of a culvert that was just big enough to get a jeep and an AT gun through.

No mention of stuck stugs. Though there was mention of stugs advancing, firing one round, then withdrawing. Rinse and repeat. Worried about piats is the thought.

And a bit more OT, if you can Hackett so to speak. I'm having an Arnhem morning:

At Knossington Hall in Rutland on 14th September 1944 Brigadier 'Shan' Hackett gave out his orders to his 4th Parachute Brigade 'Orders Group' for Operation MARKET, and having finished, he asked the unit commanders and senior staff officers to stay, “now you can forget all that", he told them, "your heaviest fighting and worst casualties will not be in defence of the northern sector of Arnhem town, but in trying to get there".

In the afternoon of 18th September the brigade dropped on Ginkel Heide, 8 miles from Arnhem; 6 aircraft were shot down on the fly-in, and there was a sharp action on the DZ against an enemy battalion: some 200 men were lost before the battle had even started. The 11th Battalion was taken from his command off the DZ, to march to Arnhem and reinforce the 1st Parachute Brigade. During the next day the other two battalions (156 and 10th) tried to force their way through the strong blocking line of the 9th SS Panzer Division north of Oosterbeek, and suffered heavy casualties. Changing direction they withdrew, but through the chaotic landing of the Polish gliders, which the Germans were hotly contesting. The Brigade, its strength now much reduced, then fought through the Wolfheze woods towards Oosterbeek, against increasing numbers of SS infantry, SP guns and armoured cars. In the thick of the fighting was Brigadier Hackett, rifle and bayonet in hand.

Major Geoffrey Powell, one of his company commanders relates:

"In a clearing in the woods I saw 3 jeeps and on the trailer of one a wounded man lay motionless. Germans were darting through the woods; the squat barrel of a SP gun appeared, it fired and hit one of the jeeps, which burst into flames. A driver ran from it shouting that it was loaded with ammunition. We all waited in horror for the explosion: then out of the trees a short spare figure ran to the burning vehicle – it was the brigadier! Springing into the driver's seat of the jeep with the wounded man he gunned the engine into life, and the jeep and trailer roared across the clearing."

Shortly afterwards the Brigadier told Powell to charge the enemy and clear them out of a nearby hollow in the woods; there he gathered 150 men, all that were with him at that time. The Germans closed in again and kept them under constant rifle and machine gun fire which took a steady toll. The Brigadier himself led several rushes to keep the enemy at bay; until as dusk approached and with all ammunition gone they faced annihilation or capture. He gathered the survivors together, and in a bunch he led them out in a wild charge through the surprised Germans, running on into the defensive positions of the Border Regiment 400 yards away.

With the remnants of his and of the 1st Parachute Brigade, and with the survivors of other units of the Division, he took command of the eastern flank of what came to be called the Oosterbeek Perimeter. His HQ was in slit trenches only 200 yards from the forward positions near the MDS crossroads. For the next four days the thin 'line' held firm under constant mortar, artillery, tank, MG and sniper fire. Ignoring the shot and shell he moved around the houses, gardens and woods encouraging the small groups of airborne defenders. He was first wounded slightly on 21st September whilst standing on the lawn of the old Rectory, which was Kate ter Horst's house: and on Sunday 24th whilst returning to his 'HQ' he was hit again by mortar splinters, and this time seriously. The airborne medics by this time had no facilities to treat such casualties, so together with several hundred other wounded men he was evacuated through the German lines to St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Arnhem. The German surgeons there said that for stomach wounds euthanasia was the only treatment; nevertheless, an airborne surgeon - Captain Lipmann Kessel, carried out a brilliant operation.

Go to Google. Type Dropbox. Register. Click on the button to upload. When it finishes uploading it gives you the link which you can send me via private message her on the forum.

Dropbox is free with no spam/commercials/popups or such crap.

Would be much obliged.

Warts, you might want to share your work with everyone here, not just me - give them the dropbox link of your fixed scenario that you sent me and let us all test it. If it works OK then I encourage you to upload it to the Repository and/or GreenAsJade's so that all community gets access to it.

Thank you.

Edit: It works OK for me.