Riesberg Shermans

What exactly is the M4A3(75)W+ supposed to be?

In my meagre collection of books covering the American tanks I can’t see any mention of any special M4A3(75)W model.

Is it a tank with field fitted appliqué armour mayhap?

In any case upper hull armour at 111/47 and lower at 146/15 goes quite some way to explain a lot of the bouncing 88 rounds spotted by seemingly surprised gunners.

M.

If you've ever heard the Sherm referred to as Ronson or Zippo, their tendency to go BIGBOOM after any penetration was the reason. The ammo was stored in fairly exposed, thinly-armored bins; very vulnerable to being set off.

The "W" referred to a change made in the Sherman's ammo storage: the rounds were encased in jackets of some sorta non-flammable liquid (glycol? water? Mountain Dew?) so that, should something hit the ammo, the liquid would pour out and drench the ammo, thus reducing the risk of fire cooking off the ammo.

From what I've read, the change worked fairly well; however, I am of the opinion that it would have been better to increase armor protection to prevent penetration in the first place. Either that, or actually build the Sherman's successor in less than the 3.5 years (or thereabouts) it took to okay the Pershing for production.

DjB

Thank you guys but no and no.

I know what the W stands for and the wet stowage is found both the "+" and "standard" mods in the scenario.

And no, this is not a Jumbo, the turret armour would be significantly thicker.

So the question remains, what is the "+" tank supposed to be?

M.

Guest PeterNZ

Moon is right, check the armor between the two different models, the + models have significantly more frontal armor. It's just the games way of saying "they've stuck **** on fron of the tank" i guess smile.gif

PeterNZ

Guest Big Time Software

This is why some folks have seen 88 rounds bounce off the front of a Sherman in Riesberg (I know I have, and it cost me the gun on the hill!). Thick armor, steep slope. But turn the sucker a little to expose a flank, and no problemo smile.gif

The "+" model is not a Jumbo BTW. That sucker is even better smile.gif

Steve