Newbie Questions

John S

Just started with RT, though I had a lot of fun in the past with Barbarossa to Berlin and have had, hard to believe, 50 years playing wargames. I have read the manual, lurked here for a couple of weeks and would like to ask just a few questions if I may. All questions assume WEGO approach if that matters.

1) Is there any way, other than pure visual at the 1,2 or 3 level to determine the heights of buildings. If you are looking down from, say, the 4,5 or 6 level, anything to indicate which are 4 level buildings versus 1 level buildings?

2) The headquarters stats. Usually a box listing platoon and, in the things I have seen, two boxes yellow in color. What am I seeing here? I suspect the boxes are each of the fire teams, what do the colors represent?

3) Please help me understand movement and targeting. I have tried a couple of times to move a unit to a different position and then have them engage a specific enemy unit with direct fire. I get a "Can't see them" indicator from their original position and it seems like I cant do what I want to do unless I expose them until the end of the timed minute. Am I trying to do something impossible or am I just screwing it up?

4) Same question but a small nuance, I would like to pull a Panzerschrek unit from behind concealment and have them fire at the side of a building but again, no dice. Is the failure because of the movement then fire command or is it that the shrek won't fire at buildings (and, if it does, will it do any good?).

Thanks for your indulgence and any responses.

1) I guess no, apart from placing an infantry waypoint on it in which case it asks which floor you want to enter.

2) You mean the Unit Tab? It displays the status of the HQ's subordinate units. Green box means the subord is okay, a red X means it's kaputt. You can click on the names to be instantly taken to that unit. Formation Tab does the same for subordinate formations (eg. Companies under a Battalion HQ).

3) Dunno without seeing the specific situation, but one thing you should know and which might be unclear is that you can attach target orders to waypoints. Click on a waypoint and now that it's highlighted you can give a target, facing or arc order. If that doesn't work then the LOF is somehow obstructed.

4) See above. You should be able to get the troops to fire a Schreck at buildings, results may vary.