Skill levels effects, and is it the same for the AI ?

ColSaid

I specifically tested this function

Did you? Starting a game and then cease firing wouldn't tell you anything. The only way to test this would be to cease fire a few seconds after an AI controlled unit had moved back into LOS of its HQ after being out of LOS. You would have to wait long enough -- probably at least 7 seconds -- to ensure the unit had completed at least one spot check, and the units would have to be far enough apart for the result to not be a gimme. Rinse, repeat a few dozen times to see if the result is always the same or if there is variation. It could be done, but it would be a pain in the ass and I doubt anyone has actually done it.

That is *not* my understanding. My read of the manual is that Elite and Iron are the same except that Iron "shows" you what friendlies your guys can see. I see no difference between the way C2 feels and works between Elite and Iron.

While I can completely understand that the "feel" of C2 isn't distinguishably different between the two settings, it certainly seems reasonable to assume that C2 in Iron is affected by:

Friendly units need to be spotted just like enemy units.

It's just that:

• the effects of C2 are subtle in the first place.
  • if the subordinate unit can't maintain LOS to their superior unit, they will, much of the time, be outside C2 range anyway, so no difference would be detected.
  • I'm sure I thought of a third point....

So the only time you might notice a difference is when a platoon is fighting in woods, where LOS is difficult, even at normal C2 ranges, but even then there will potentially be "Hearing" C2 links.

If the AI isn't bound by the same restriction for C2 purposes, it's a trivial difference, in practical terms.