CM 3.0 / 2.12 upgrade, is it free yet?

fry30

I just want to be 100 percent clear on this, for the people who already have CMBN, you will not be able to upgrade to the "3.0" family unless you've bought and installed the 2.12 upgrade (for $10.00 I think it was) ???

I figured that anyone for the last year or so who bought CMBN or CMFI got these upgrades for free with their download... this was not the case? Now whoever buys either one off the website is getting these patches for free? I figured that was already the case, as they were presumably buying the latest version (I know I'm being a bit redundant).

This seems a little odd, I never knew that even recent arrivals, at least prior to today, still had to pay to upgrade to the .12 version. I stopped playing CMBN pbem a while ago because it seemed like most people I was playing were upgrading.

-------

OR is it this case that I've misread this, and Steve and the gang are coming thru on their wishy-washy promise that eventually the $10 game play upgrade would be free in the future. I'm hoping the latter is the case. (Argument / Sales pitch at the time against waiting for the free patch was that you were enjoying the features long before it became free for everyone else, almost like you were prepaying for features that wouldn't be available otherwise for some time.)

Did I just imagine that last part, it almost makes me want to go searching through the archive, almost.

Until the recent announcement, you were buying CMBN v1, with free access to patches thru 1.11. You had to pay an extra fee ($10 standalone, $5 as part of a MG/v2 bundle) to get the upgrade to v2.0, with free access to patches through to 2.12.

Now, when you buy BN, you're getting v2.12 for the base price.

If you haven't paid to upgrade your v1.11 (or less if you've for some demented reason not patched to max) you'll still have to buy the v2 upgrade for $10 or $5 before you upgrade to v3 (when that gets released). Though, again, I can't see why you wouldn't have already got the v2 upgrade if you actually bother with the game; it's significantly improved.

Yes, early adopters pay more. Who knew? It's not like it wasn't clear if you were actually buying the product.

Seems like I recall that a recent announcement stated that the improvements in 2.12 will be included in the v3 upgrade. So if you have not already purchased the v2 upgrade but now purchase the v3 upgrade when it becomes available, you will effectively be getting v2 for free. A search might turn up the relevant post.

Michael

Yes, early adopters pay more. Who knew?

Well, it seems to me that early adopters are usually faced with costs and hassles avoided by people who are willing and able to await the mature version of the product. Nothing unique to CM about that. We here are a pretty impatient lot and usually are willing to endure the costs and hassles of early adopters just to get our hands on the product.

:)

Michael

Its somewhat confusing posting this topic to the CMRT page since '3.0' would bring CMBN up to CMRT standards, including capability for flamethrowers and AA ground fire. So theoretically CMRT would remain largely unaffected beyond the eventual patch 1.01(?) patch. Unless there have been further significant developments above and beyond the CMRT game engine that have yet to be announced.