Courage and Fortitude, the mine problem.

rtfm :D

From page 81

MARK MINES

This command enables engineer units to detect and mark hidden minefields so

that other units are aware of them. Other units can then move through the

marked minefield, albeit slowly. Mark Mines is a very slow movement command

that takes the unit’s full attention and reduces awareness and returning

fire. See the Encyclopedia chapter for more details about Mines.

Restrictions - only Engineers can mark mines.

Example - Marking mines under fire is suicidal unless you have other forces

suppressing the enemy or call for a large scale smoke screen.

From page 195

MINES

There are three “flavors” of minefields in the game: anti-personnel, anti-tank, and mixed (meaning: a mix

of both anti-personnel and anti-tank mines in the same field). Obviously, anti-personnel mines are

meant to harm infantry primarily, while anti-tank mines are usually bigger and pack more punch, and

are intended to disable or at least immobilize vehicles and tanks.

Note: Anti-tank mines cannot be set off by infantry on foot,

but anti-personnel mines can be set off by vehicles.

Troops moving through minefields have some ability to notice the mines without exploding them. This is

much more likely when:

.......................................... - The soldiers are crawling or walking (and to a lesser extent, “hunting”)

.......................................... - The soldiers are engineers

.......................................... - The soldiers are experienced

.......................................... - The minefield has already been discovered (e.g. by setting off a mine)

Engineers have the ability to mark known minefields. After a minefield is marked by an engineer unit,

other units may safely (but slowly) move through it without running the risk of setting off additional

mines. See the Mark Mines command in the Command chaptommand in the Command chapter for more details.

Mines can also be destroyed by sympathetic explosion. You need something for a Blast command to work on, in the same AS, since you can't just Blast an arbitrary AS, though.

*****SPOILER******

Yes, as I recall, there is wire right at the bridge and if you blast the wire, the mines will explode sympathetically.

*****SPOILER******

Yes, as I recall, there is wire right at the bridge and if you blast the wire, the mines will explode sympathetically.

Yes, although it's important to note that there's no way to be 100% certain that the blast will take out all of the mines. Blasting multiple sections of the wire increases the chances of taking out all of the mines. IIRC, I removed all of the wire with several blasts, losing several engineers to sympathetic detonations in the process. But once this was done, the bridge was pretty much clear and I was able to advance infantry and tanks across the bridge fairly rapidly.

Courage and Fortitude is a campaign where you have to make some tough choices; at times you do need to choose to sacrifice some units so that others may live to complete the mission.