Frustrated, Mission unclear.

I just finished the second German campaign mission with a "draw". I held every objective, except for one. The one I didn't hold had ONE enemy unit in it, therefore I didn't get points for it(doh! Fought so hard for it, too.). It was East Radzymin.

That's not really my problem, though. When I look at the russian objectives and parameters, they are different.

The russians gained 300 points for holding Radzymin Park and West Radzymin, which were not shown as objectives. I don't even know where they are.

The Russians also have 400 points from "friendly bonus". What is that!!???

>.< This should've been a clear victory. I don't get it.

I don't know anything about this mission, but "friendly bonus" is simply a scenario designer's way of making the scoring harder or easier for one side.

Sometimes the opposing sides have dissimilar objectives. They might have a zone to take or hold that you can't even see when playing from your side. (Think of how gamey it would be if you could see the opponent's precise objectives every time.)

Usually a good scenario designer provides clues (and sometimes misinformation) in the briefing to guide (or frustrate) your planning.

I think there's a art to good use of hidden and asymmetrical objectives. Sometimes designers don't quite get it right, either because the two sides' objectives are just too divergent, or because there's no information about the possibility.

The possibility of enemy VPs that you have no knowledge of, and so cannot prevent is, I suppose, an incitement to hunt them down and make them surrender in all cases. Better though would be an injunction to do that, in the briefing, where it's necessary. Objectives like "keep the enemy out of the farm" where you get no VPs for the farm but the enemy will if they hold it are fine. But if it seems like you only have to take all your own known VLs to get a victory, making that not the case without any warning is pretty much thumbing your nose at the player and hollering "Fooled you!"

I have no knowledge whether any of this is the case in the scenario in question; I'm addressing generalities.

It is not always necessary to take ALL of the objectives. You, the attacker, can also claim victory by taking a number of objectives while denying the enemy from holding its ground. The fun part is determining which objectives are coveted by each side.

Kill em all and let God sort em out... um er I mean (in a PC world) Just dominate them baby.

Ya I have been the victim of what you described. Sometimes breifing intell is just Fog of War. I rely on my eyes on the field and then gaining fire superiority. When it works I am a god when it does not I blame Battlefront for inferior game design :P. (joking)

I just downloaded a CMRT scenario Verposten and it has kicked my keester despite multiple retries. As has any Paper Tiger designed campaign.

Losing builds character, or at least that's what I tell myself. :eek:

Kill em all and let God sort em out... um er I mean (in a PC world) Just dominate them baby.

Ya I have been the victim of what you described. Sometimes breifing intell is just Fog of War. I rely on my eyes on the field and then gaining fire superiority. When it works I am a god when it does not I blame Battlefront for inferior game design :P. (joking)

I just downloaded a CMRT scenario Verposten and it has kicked my keester despite multiple retries. As has any Paper Tiger designed campaign.

Losing builds character, or at least that's what I tell myself. :eek:

It's the fact that it's so hard to win at this game that keeps me playing it day in and day out. The last time I stuck with a game like this was nearly a decade ago, and it was WoW. Usually I hop games like a serial gamer. That's a good idea. I do get really objective focused, REALLY.