Research

So, as I download my first scenarios, it's clear that the designers do their homework.

Since my World War II study has been almost exclusively American, with a smattering of British and German action...what are the best books on the latter part of the Eastern Front.

My experience is that most histories go up to Kursk and then drop off...probably because Italy and soon France took over most of the attention.

I have the Ziemke books published a long time ago by the Army's Center of Military History, but was hoping for a recent, fairly unbiased account of the 1943-1944 Russian Front.

My current reading on this conflict is David Glantz 4 gigantic volumes on Stalingrad....great stuff...but even as the Dean of the Russian Front, he has barely made it past Kursk with his books....at least as far as I can tell.

Bagration was clearly as big as Normandy..so what's the best book to start with?

Thanks...I need more books for my library....

Grunt GI,

Ok... not that easy because most of the books come from a certain source that in its self has history... however... for ’43.

The Wehrmacht Retreats... by Robert M Citino. Very much an operational analysis... but superbly written.

Soviet Blitzkrieg, The Battle for White Russia 1944 by Walter S Dunn. Very dry, but bursting with top quality info on the Red Army of the time. Info comes from General Gehlen, German’s head of Soviet Studies and his work has been certified as spot on. He very efficiently collected info on what the Red Army was and how it did things.

All the best,

Kip.