Company Names

The phonetic alphabet was changed at points during the war, at least in British Service. British companies were known by letter (A,B,C and D, typically), so they would be referred to over the radio by phonetics. However, most written histories for British units refer to the companies as A, B, C etc. not than Able, Baker...

Also, due to the nature of Commonwealth organisations, Battalions of a given regiment would not usually be assigned to the same Brigade, so companies were only referred to as A to D rather than continuing to E, F and G in the second battalion.

Phonetics, late war:

A Able

B Baker

C Charlie

D Dog

Phonetics, early war:

A Ack

B Beer

C Charlie

D Don

Originally posted by flamingknives:

The phonetic alphabet was changed at points during the war, at least in British Service. British companies were known by letter (A,B,C and D, typically), so they would be referred to over the radio by phonetics. However, most written histories for British units refer to the companies as A, B, C etc. not than Able, Baker...

Also, due to the nature of Commonwealth organisations, Battalions of a given regiment would not usually be assigned to the same Brigade, so companies were only referred to as A to D rather than continuing to E, F and G in the second battalion.

Phonetics, late war:

A Able

B Baker

C Charlie

D Dog

Phonetics, early war:

A Ack

B Beer

C Charlie

D Don

There were some regimental exceptions in the CW armies. The Scots Guards had Right Flank Company, No. 2 Company No. 3 Company, and Left Flank Company, for example. The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders at some point (perhaps after WW II) dispensed with C Company and had A, B and D, so the story goes.

2nd KSLI (185 Bde, 3rd UK Inf Div) used W, X, Y, & Z Coys. 27(MG)Bn in 2(NZ)Div had 1, 2, 3, & 4 Coys.

UK inf bns in Italy went to a three coy org late-ish in the war (approx mid-late 1944-onwards). I imagine there was a fair bit of variation in how that was handled (A,B,C or B,C,D or A,B,D, or ... etc)

US Army companies

1st bn

able

baker

charlie

dog (heavy weapons)

2nd bn

easy

fox

george

how (HW)

3rd bn

Item

King

I think Lima

Mike

There is no Company J--it looks like an I and on the radio sounds like a K

Nowadays the US Army dropped the whole idea and uses

Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta

While the USMC still uses the whole alphabet in their regiments

Originally posted by Charlie Rock:

US Army companies

1st bn

able

baker

charlie

dog (heavy weapons)

2nd bn

easy

fox

george

how (HW)

3rd bn

Item

King

I think Lima

Mike

There is no Company J--it looks like an I and on the radio sounds like a K

Nowadays the US Army dropped the whole idea and uses

Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta

While the USMC still uses the whole alphabet in their regiments

US WW2

H = not hotel?

I = not indigo?

Was there a standard for which companies saw action first? I have read many accounts of able, baker, charlie, easy, and fox companies but rarely hear about the exploits of the others and very rarely hear about the coys from 3 btn.

Originally posted by FM Paul Heinrik:

US WW2

H = not hotel?

I = not indigo?

Was there a standard for which companies saw action first? I have read many accounts of able, baker, charlie, easy, and fox companies but rarely hear about the exploits of the others and very rarely hear about the coys from 3 btn.

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/phonetics.htm

Phonetic Alphabets - the US Army's in WW II is shown.

Also the British phonetic from the early war period. Luckily the CW didn't name their companies like the US regiments did - who would want to command a battalion with Monkey Company and Nuts Company in it?

"We'll send London up forward and keep Monkey, Nuts in reserve..."

[ August 16, 2004, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

• 2 weeks later...