Will CMBN look in Documents for files?

When CMFI was released, the directory for placing scenarios, mods, etc moved from the main installation direction (as it was for CMBN) to a Battlefront folder in Documents.

If I move my CMBN materials to a parallel set of directories in Documents, will the game find them there, or do they still need to be in the main directory?

(If I can move them, what exactly do I name the CMBN directory in Documents?)

Thanks!

Why would you want it to? It's a stupid Windowsism that just makes keeping different versions of the game more vexing. But if you really want to, why not try it and see? Backup your BN "Game Files"; intuit the "top" folder name; copy the FI folder structure.

My preference is simply for all three games to have the same file structure. Will CMRT and CMFI work correctly if I place the files currently in Documents into the main game directory (as CMBN has it)?

I never thought I would say this, but (windowism or not) I've gotten used to having the CMFI/CMRT directories I actually access snuggled up together in Documents.

My preference is simply for all three games to have the same file structure.

They do not have the same file structure. CMBN was made with a different, non windows compliant, file structure. CMFI and CMRT both have a windows compliant file structure. The file structure for CMFI and CMRT are the file structure for CM games going forward. It was decided to leave CMBN with the old file structure.

Will CMRT and CMFI work correctly if I place the files currently in Documents into the main game directory (as CMBN has it)?

No, the games should not work correctly. There are some threads in the tech support forums about this when players were doing as you suggest and then complaining because their games didn't work.

No, the games should not work correctly. There are some threads in the tech support forums about this when players were doing as you suggest and then complaining because their games didn't work.

Well, I wasn't suggesting we all do it. I was asking if it would work. Now I know.

Well, I wasn't suggesting we all do it. I was asking if it would work. Now I know.

The threads are old threads so when I use 'as you suggest' I mean that they were attempting to alter their file structure the same way as you are suggesting that you want to do now. Suggest being defined as "to mention (something) as a possible thing to be done, used, thought about, etc."

From your first post I was led to believe that you hadn't altered your file structure yet and that you were thinking about that alteration as something you might possibly want to do. Thus my use of 'suggest' was used in the context of you thinking about altering your file structure (suggest) and me pointing out that others had done 'as you suggest' in the past and the result of their attempts were that their games were broken. So I wasn't inferring that you were suggesting that everyone alter their file structure but rather that you were thinking about doing it. I'm sorry if there was any misunderstanding about my response. ;)

Why would you want it to? It's a stupid Windowsism that just makes keeping different versions of the game more vexing.

Yep

They do not have the same file structure. CMBN was made with a different, non windows compliant, file structure.

Yuck. Not wanting to shoot the messenger but this just sucks. I logged a bug about it, we will see if any changes get made.

I know why MS made the change but the inconvenience of it has been spreading. There are lots of existing apps that do not play well in the new MS order - big pain to discover and workaround. And then there are new apps that make my life harder by having hard coded directories for stuff that I should be able to control the locations of - big pain to workaround, if it is even possible.

I now have a C:\Programs directory (made by me) and more and more apps are going in there the preserve my sanity. I personally am happy to have CMBN in that directory where it (and I) can write files to its own install directory. I wish CMFI and CMRT were like that too. Or at least allowed me to control where the saved games are stored to protect my sanity.