Dick Van Dyke

We are all mates on this forum, (I think!) But one thing caused me to wake in the middle of last night in a cold sweat; the forthcoming British voice wavs. Please, BTS,please, don't give us quasi- Dick Van Dyke 'cockney' rip offs, or Basil Rathbone ' English Gent' types! As a cousin from 'across the pond', that would be as unbearably unrealistic as a MP44 successfully destroying a squadron of Fireflies! Please leave the generic stereotypical English accents to Hollywood. I know you will understand my anxieties and I trust I am flapping needlessly? Best wishes.

LOL, the accents are just the tip of the iceberg here wink.gif. Think about us poor guys on the left side of the pond trying to figure out the VOCABULARY of HM's troops. If BTS did that right, everybody here would have to have a copy of Fraser's "McAuslan" series and its glossary to know what at least _some_ of the Scots soldiers were talking about smile.gif.

So maybe Dick Van Dyke would be a better solution { smile.gif, D, RLH }

-Bullethead

LOL, Eichmann2, 'Shtep in time, Merry Porppins!'

I think your nervous anxiety (which I share)can be traced back to a certain 'other' game in your past that has become buried in your subconscious. Do the words: 'Pick up your weapon!', mean anything to you? If so just have a nice cup of tea, old chap, and everything will be fine...

Mike 'Freud'

You've heard the Germans right?

Well, all the other nation's voices are done the same as that.. Not, Americans trying to fake German accents badly wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Every time I hear that 'pick up your weapon' from CC2, I always think it's Michael Cane..

A nice touch would be the odd Scot or Irish accent, depending on the regiment used in the battle.. Are the Canadians involved? (Under the Brits..) Ram Kanagaroos would be nice.

Actually, I'm not so keen on some of the American voices, but maybe that's just me.

By the way, what's wrong with a cup of tea at the battlefield? Great way to keep warm, and that's just how 7th Armored celebrated the cease-fire in the Gulf.

DWH

Manic Moran

Well, I couldn't find a reference for British soldier's speech in WWII, but I did find a newspaper article featuring authentic British speech patterns in WWI.

From The Onion, February 19, 1915:

<h1>'Jolly Good' Brit Boys Die 'Cheerio, Can-do' Deaths</h1>

<HR>

<h2>GOOD SPORTS PERISH WITH DIGNITY, MANNERS</h2>

<hr>

With the British Armies in France --At 5 o'clock in the evening, the horizon

of the Western Front glows a dull red, silhouetting Private Donald Derby, age

17, as he peers of the tops of sandbags into no-man's land. "It's over the tops

for us tonight, mate," he says, sipping a hot cup of tea. "There's nothing quite

like a spot of trench warfare to get your tucker up. Biscuit?" he asks, proffering

a crispy shortbread.</p>

Private Derby is a typical British fighting man. It's all "Right-O, old boy!"

and "Can do, sir!" for these plucky doughboys. Although they emerge as barely

audible squeaks, Derby still forces the words, "It was a pleasure sir, Cheerio!"

as he chokes on a cloud of mustard gas later that evening.</p>

Now the 7th Royal Welsh Guards are enjoying a refreshing tea, swapping merry

trench tales before tonight's assault on the German position near Cambrai. "Remember

the row we had last month, mates, in the woods near Grenonville? Now, that was

a scrap," says one soldier. "Aye, " pipes up Private Willy Boggins, a cheeky

Cockney lad of 19. "Old Brewster 'ad both 'is arms shot clean off, but 'ee kept

a-runnin' right with us over the barbed wire. 'Take more than two bullets to put

me down, mates!,' 'ee shouted, until 'ee took one more in the noggin. Daft old

dodger, that one!"</p>

[boggins is killed by a mortar fragment.]</p>

The soldiers share a concerned look, then lift their tea cups to their fallen

comrade. A fellow with lieutenant's shoulder-pips pops his head out of an underground

bunker. "Let's tidy up the trench before a bit before we go off, boys," he says.

"So much nicer to come back to, eh?" </p>

I hope tea cups will be featured in CM.

[This message has been edited by Richard III (edited 12-08-99).]

The "Blackadder" series was a smashing hit here in Norway. It's only natural I guess. You Brits are mostly decendants of the vikings, so you inherited the humour from us... smile.gif

But I do look forward to hear Sgt. Jenkins' "Yessah! Right on, Sah!" Oh, this game is going to be so **** (if you'll pardon my french) good!!!

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason "why", our's is but to do and die!