Scottish Corridor, Mission 4

Each of the two towns each have as many German forces as what you start with as the attacker, (quantitatively speaking) with minimal arty and NO A$$. No armor, no air support and minimal arty...doesn't sound very "Normandy" to me...

I also noticed that the Brits tend to squeal and cry and cower the moment they get any lead thrown their way.

Suggestions?

Or is it one of those "you are meant to lose this battle" scenarios?

OK, yes, the Germans have slightly less. There's no way to take both towns with the forces on hand. Three Inf. platoons with no MG's. What pioneer platoon? There's a pair of jeeps with one half section that has some demo charges.

Besides, B co. has to be exited with most of it's men; no way to do that without armor.

At least that's the way I see it.

If there's some secret to figuring this scenario out, then maybe somebody can clue me in.

Well they have slightly less split over two locations, you have more all in the same place and plenty of artillery.

You have 6 platoons you are discounting B company completely, yea they have to be exited, can still be useful tho.

Dont really see what the fuss is about. The first town clears easily, second one is bit tougher to crack, but not impossible.

Alex, your phrase "after several goes" made me smile. I'm glad to see other people have a struggle too. I do like Bren Carriers, but I'd lost so many infantry that in the end they had no protection.

When I used to play CMBO/BB/AK I racked up victory after victory. This new generation of Combat Mission is a whole lot tougher. It is going to be a long learning process.

• 1 month later...
No armor, no air support and minimal arty...doesn't sound very "Normandy" to me...

Operation Epsom really wasn't very "Normandy". :D Heavy rain, sodden ground, no air support and a determined German defence that could still fight effectively on the first day in spite of being subjected to one of Monty's famously huge, preliminary artillery bombardments. You should have a shed-load of artillery in this mission though as some have pointed out already. It just arrives over time.

As a side note, I thought the maps for the ASH series in this campaign were the best map work I've done. ;) If you have to replay any of these missions, at least the map looks good.

Each of the two towns each have as many German forces as what you start with as the attacker, (quantitatively speaking) with minimal arty and NO A$$. No armor, no air support and minimal arty...doesn't sound very "Normandy" to me...

I also noticed that the Brits tend to squeal and cry and cower the moment they get any lead thrown their way.

Suggestions?

Or is it one of those "you are meant to lose this battle" scenarios?

Just checked on this and found that the OP is exaggerating just a tad. ;) The Brit forces outnumber the German defenders by 2.5:1, (320 to 120 give or take a few). Plus the Brits have Bren carriers and lots of artillery.

Further checking reveals that there are only about 80 Germans all in on the board at the start of the mission, spread over three locations. The rest arrive as reinforcements. They have no artillery support either.

The reason I'm looking at this is because I'm currently working on something with this just now ;)