How much protection dide half-tracks provide?

Hello, I've been looking for some information describing how much protection half-tracks, like the 251, and other infantry carrying vehicles such as the Bren Carrier provided against small arms fire?

I've always assumed that rifle fire at close range, less than 50 meters, would have a decent chance of punching through and that sustained fire would definitely be able to penetrate the hull.

I'm not sure that sustained fire, unless it went on long enough to create a weakness in the armor, would have much to do with it as each bullet must penetrate individually. However, yes a close to middling range rifle fire might get through if it has a good angle normal to the plate. Basically, the armor was designed to resist splinters and it will generally do that.

Michael

Watch this Panzergrenadier training film from 1944

and you will see that HT are used to rush infantry into areas well away from small arms fire but which may be under artillery fire or used in areas where there is a risk albeit low of sniper fire or the the odd enemy soldier with small arms.

Their use is all very planned and co-ordinated to provide mobility at specific moments in the battle. The film is about using the PzGr in the Hautpkampffeld (HKF) which is the area behind the Main line of Resistance (HKL) where counter attack forces are used to engage the enemy and ultimately recover the lost ground and restore the HKL. This is a classic use of PzGr in a counter attacking role in support of an Infantry Division which would be holding the HKL and HKF with static forces.