Campaign/Battle Status

It depends on the objective. If you secure a touch objective you will get a short 'radio' sound and some white text will appear in the upper center of the screen indicating that objective X was secured. Touch objectives are secured immediately. With 'Occupy' objectives, the objective isn't considered 'secure' until the scenario ends. This is because you are given the points for occupying the objective with no enemy troops in the area. The determination of whether this has been accomplished can only be done at the conclusion of the scenario.

I just noticed while finishing Panzermike's Trainspotting scenario that a Touch objective's green painted area (with Obejctives toggled "On") disappear when your pixeltruppen reach it. Is that new, or have I been horribly unobservant all these years?

I think touch objectives have disappeared all the way back to CMSF.

I just noticed while finishing Panzermike's Trainspotting scenario that a Touch objective's green painted area (with Obejctives toggled "On") disappear when your pixeltruppen reach it. Is that new, or have I been horribly unobservant all these years?

I don't think that touch objectives are as common as occupy objectives so I'm not surprised you never noticed it before. But yeah, they have always disappeared when touched.