Mortar Range in Hot Mustard

Playing Hot Mustard as the Germans, I was surprised to find that the six battalion batteries off-map mortars I've been given cannot reach the second objective (the Train Station). I had purposely reserved my artillery to back up my assault. My infantry guns (leIG18) have the range but the 81mm mortars (sGrW34) do not. Have people run into similar problems in other scenarios? This was a little frustrating.

Playing Hot Mustard as the Germans, I was surprised to find that the six battalion batteries off-map mortars I've been given cannot reach the second objective (the Train Station). I had purposely reserved my artillery to back up my assault. My infantry guns (leIG18) have the range but the 81mm mortars (sGrW34) do not. Have people run into similar problems in other scenarios? This was a little frustrating.

Last time I ran into this, I think I estimated the maximum range of the 81mms as 1500m from the "friendly map corner". I, too, had reserved my mortars for use on targets further down the map, since there were no viable targets within 1500m of the baseline. Well, there was one farmhouse, but that was in direct line of sight of a couple of platoons of PzIVs with nothing else to shoot at, so I didn't think the 81s would add anything... Now I check how far the things will reach onto the map right at the beginning.

Never thought about that b4. I think I only played one scenario where range was an issue, and it was warned about in the briefing.

So, if an offboard arty has a short range, is it measured from a map edge or corner, or from where...?

AIUI, it's measured from "just behind the 'friendly map edge'". The only time I've tried to measure it, it seemed to be at the corner.