Am I using tanks wrong?

womble

I have hinted, suggested, cajoled, and even prayed for SOPs of various kinds in CM all to no avail. BFC has resisted so adamantly that I suspect it is some kind of religious issue with them.

Getting an AI to behave "plausibly" and not-quite-totally-incompetently with a fixed set of known priorities is hard codin'. Getting it to behave using a variable suite of priorites is harder. Remember Robocop 2! :)

Another thing is that it seems AP ammo is actually pretty effective at taking out entrenched infantry.

I recently played "Razorback Ridge", where I cursed that I was only given tank destroyers without much HE ammo. But after spending the HE, I found that they were decent against infantry with their armour piercing shots too.

I don't have the knowledge to really say if that's realistic or not.

Its not very realistic, especially because the round passes through the hapless grunt, rather than the bursting charge having anything to do with things.

Well no, you have the advantage of me there...

:) The original robocop had a simple set of instructions that worked well. His successor was "improved" by committee, and had lots of specific-circumstance instructions which often contradicted each other and the end result was... suboptimal.

Couldn't resist, but there are two sets of conditions that will tell if you are using your tanks right or wrong...

If you are playing me, and your tanks are going all 'splody and burning, well then, you're using them just right.

If you are playing me, and all my tanks are going all 'splody and burning, well then, you're using them all wrong.

Couldn't resist, but there are two sets of conditions that will tell if you are using your tanks right or wrong...

If you are playing me, and your tanks are going all 'splody and burning, well then, you're using them just right.

If you are playing me, and all my tanks are going all 'splody and burning, well then, you're using them all wrong.

I was going to say that if you have to ask the question, then yes, are using your tanks wrong.