Soviet Guards units

Chops

It is my understanding that Soviet units received the Guards distinction due to exceptional combat performance, and that Rifle and Tank divisions could receive this "honor".

Which Guards units will be present in CM:RT initial release? What sort of quality of equipment and experience/morale/leadership modifiers would be typical for these units?

I believe the primary TO&E difference was additional support weapons. At company level, Guards troops have a full MG platoon in support. At battalion level, they enjoy increased amounts of both machine guns and anti-tank rifles. At regimental level (outside of CM scope), Guards units received a second SMG company and extra 120mm mortars. I believe ChrisND mentioned in his TTV stream that Guards have radios at lower levels, and it might be safe to assume that leadership and experience levels will be by and large better than run-of-the-mill army units.

What is the TO&E difference between: Guards Rifle Battalion (43), Guards Rifle Battalion (44)? I guess the number designation is 1943 and 1944.

How far down the chain of command are radio's present?

Here is a little synopsis that I found of one unit that should be present in CM:RT historical scenarios -

"During the Red Army's final drive into Germany, starting with Operation Bagration beginning on 22 June 1944, the 13th Guards Rifles Division was a portion of the 32nd Guards Rifle Corps, which was a portion of the 5th Guards Tank Army, which itself was a portion of the 1st Ukrainian Front. This force drove the Germans back through northern Ukraine and central Poland in to the northern regions of Germany itself. By the end of January 1945, the 1st Ukrainian Front, including the 13th Rifles, had reached the southern outskirts. Here, they participated in the Battle of Berlin and the Battle of the Elbe, where they distinguished themselves yet again while combating the Germans for both of their objectives: Berlin itself and the Teltov Canal. The capture of the latter objective gave the Red Army a river crossing of the Elbe River, allowing the Russians to assault the heart of the Third Reich." source Wikipedia

I couldn't find any info on the specific Guards TO&Es, but I did dig up some stuff on vanilla Rifle units. I assume the Guards units are similar to what follows, only with an increased quantity of heavy weapons.

The 1943-style battalion was, I believe, the norm. Rifle platoons under this organization consisted of a platoon leader and three eleven-man squads (squad leader plus ten men). Each squad had a single LMG and a mix of rifles and SMGs for the remaining men. Three platoons, HQ elements, and a MG section made up a company, with the MG section* serving two guns (I think, not certain here). Three of these companies, along with a mortar and machine gun company made up a battalion.

*In Guards units this was a whole platoon, of around four guns.

There were actually several 1944-style organizations I read about, and they were all reduced strength. Under the 1944 TO&E, select divisions would be reduced, sometimes considerably. There were actually four levels of reduction, with the highest reducing a whole division to only around 4,000 men. I don't know which level of reduction BFC chose to implement, but I'd just assume a reduced version of what I listed above. If anyone can shine some light on this, I'd appreciate it. Hope this helped.

It is my understanding that Soviet units received the Guards distinction due to exceptional combat performance, and that Rifle and Tank divisions could receive this "honor".

Which Guards units will be present in CM:RT initial release? What sort of quality of equipment and experience/morale/leadership modifiers would be typical for these units?

The entire standard TO&E is replicated under the Guards "branch," with some variations where Guards units received allocations of additional equipment. Jotte has noted most of them above, but as I recall there is also a recon company under Guards that is motorized where its standard counterpart goes on foot. The primary difference between Guards and standard units are unique uniform textures (which include the Guards badge) and higher default soft factors.

If you are expecting that the 13th guards rifle division itself be in RT, well that depends on whether one of their battles makes it into the scenario list. Otherwise it seems the TOE will be there to create actions by that or other guards units.

Los

To the OP. I believe that units distinguishing themselves were granted "Guards" title after 1941.. however there were no badges awarded or such to distinguish a Guards unit until 1943.. since Bagration is 1944 you would defenitely see "Guard" infantry etc with Guard badges worn on uniforms. However I think the fact thet they were "Elite" should be used loosly as in the end they had 11 Guard Armies (equivelent to a German Corps) and 6 Guard Tank Armies.. They were no doubt better equiped and had more experienced men, but to call them Elite in my opinion is stretching it.

PS: Russian tand units awarded Guards status, like their Aircraft would usually paint The Guard Badge emblem, I believe the land forces were given Guard Banners by 1942.. Anyways I beleive by 1944 it would not be uncommon to see most Guard tanks displaying the "Guard Badge". Could be wrong, but I dont have my books in front of me right now.