Spotting disadvantage for Russian TCs?

Rokko

In the latest Red Thunder stream I saw the TCs of the T-70s we saw have a special animation where they do not use their binoculars, despite being equipped with them. Does that translate to an actual spotting disadvantage or is it just a visual gimmick?

A dismounted TC uses binocular animations. The mounted TC peers from around his open hatch. I doubt the spotting bonus is in any way dependent on the animations, though. If he has binocs he has binocs with all that implies. But really, T-70 has bigger spotting issues than binoculars. One man turret with a single hatch-mounted periscope. A buttoned commander loading his cannon is not spotting.

man you do not want to know how blind a T 70 is. Picture this. 3 T 70s barreling down on a StuG trying to catch it from the rear. All 3 are unbuttoned to give them that slim hope. They get close and the StuG loader opens up with his MG. One after another the MG takes out the TC and the now hapless T 70s go up in flames. Next time I'll go with 6... or maybe 9.

Well we don't know how the game handles binoculars. We know that binoculars give a spotting advantage, but we do not whether this advantage is tied simply to the posession of a pair of binoculars, or to the actual animation of binoculars being used regularly.

So maybe the game treats Soviet TCs in tanks with these frontal hatches as using their binoculars, maybe it doesn't. It depends on the level of abstraction the game has in this area.