A Perfect Sunday

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

I started the Road to Nijmegen campaign.

First of all, the map is beautiful. I lived in Beek near Nijmegen for a while, which is located between Nijmegen and Groesbeek. I often cycled to Groesbeek on sunny days and then I passed directly through this battlefield when I made the hook to the German village of Wyler to return around the Duivelsberg. This map captures the very un-Dutch atmosphere of the rolling fields of Groesbeek perfectly. Unfortunately, but understandably, the map is too small to include the dark and infamous Reichswald on the horizon that forms the Eastern border of these fields.

The final approach to the exit area of this map is today occupied by the National Liberation Museum Groesbeek, which is mainly devoted to the US airborne forces.

Anyway, I finished the scenario with a minor victory, and I am aware that I handled several aspects less than optimal. And I have some general questions about campaigns in general.

I used battalion mortars with a medium duration heavy mission to destroy the AA guns, used two mortars of Easy company to pummel the Germans at Hendriks farm and the machine gun behind the AA guns, as these positions caused a lot of casualties on my troops in the open, but decided to save the rest of the mortar bombs for future missions, as the American troops were strong enough to attack the other Germans by just advancing in a broad mutual supportive line. That took only modest casualties.

I also tried the air support, but I reloaded a save when the plane massacred my two leading platoons in their jump-off position. At least I learned to keep a larger distance when calling in the air force.

In the end my victory was diminished by too many own casualties (blue circle instead of green mark), and too few enemy casualties (also blue circle).

I got a bit impatient at the end, when I thought the battle was over, and instead of carefully mopping up the whole exit area, I moved the whole of F company running to the exit point when there proved to be another German unit in ambush near the end. That gave me extra casualties.

So my questions, because given the reputation of Paper Tiger, I will need a perfect start to have a chance at the later missions:

- for how many missions do I have to save my artillery ammunition? Or can I just use all those bombs to do the dirty work?

- I discovered later that E Company is a core unit, while F company that has to exit is not. Most hard fighting was done by E Company. I should probably have made more use of F Company, or is that gamey? Or do casualties count double when they are part of an exit force?

I am on this campaign as well.. Enjoying it. But, I am also confused as to when I receive resupply or reinforcements - ie when is it imperative to conserve men, equipment and ammo, and when can you "let er rip".

It would be good to have this sort of info explicitly stated in each mission's briefing. It probably is stated in the initial campaign briefing. But, we never get to see that again unless one reloads the campaign from the beginning. And who wants to do that?

I am on this campaign as well.. Enjoying it. But, I am also confused as to when I receive resupply or reinforcements - ie when is it imperative to conserve men, equipment and ammo, and when can you "let er rip".

It would be good to have this sort of info explicitly stated in each mission's briefing. It probably is stated in the initial campaign briefing. But, we never get to see that again unless one reloads the campaign from the beginning. And who wants to do that?

I suppose you could take a screenshot of the briefing and print it out. Whether you want to go to the bother is your call.

Michael

It probably is stated in the initial campaign briefing. But, we never get to see that again unless one reloads the campaign from the beginning. And who wants to do that?

I was under the impression that you get the initial campaign briefing when you load a save game.. at least between battles?

00-1-Campaign.jpg

00-2-Campaign.jpg

00-3-Campaign.jpg

00-4-Campaign.jpg

I think there is a little error in the briefing, as it mentions D and E company of 2/505 as core units, but in missions 1, 7, 13 and 16 it is company E and F that are fighting, so it appears core units D and E should be E and F.

Which would make my question about spending more of company F irrelevant.

"I was under the impression that you get the initial campaign briefing when you load a save game.. at least between battles?"

That would be very helpful, but I have never seen the initial campaign briefing again once a campaign has started. And sometimes one can come a cropper when you start a mission with unexpected low ammo, decimated troops and/or no arty. BTW: I note there is no "Day 3". Is that by design??

Hi Erwin, Just seen this and it is something that I have asked for is the ability to toggle the main campaign briefing from the campaign scenario screen's. Just would be really useful to remind where you are in the campaign arc.

I found it really useful when some one posted the full scenario list and I could then check my progress on there.

So a minor niggle but might be an easy fix on the system?

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

- for how many missions do I have to save my artillery ammunition? Or can I just use all those bombs to do the dirty work?

- I discovered later that E Company is a core unit, while F company that has to exit is not. Most hard fighting was done by E Company. I should probably have made more use of F Company, or is that gamey? Or do casualties count double when they are part of an exit force?

Sorry can not answer the 1st question, but the way I play it is to try and use Arty when I really have to. PT does explain in some missions if you need to conserve. So if it is not mentioned you should be fine to use it all. Read his briefings carefully.

Not gamey for your second question. Again it is key to understand and the designer is giving you hints.

As for if to re-start. I can again not say for certain as I did not lose too many men. I guess if you lost 80% then re-start? It really depends on how *issed you would be if you could not complete?

I guess if in doubt better to re-start sooner... But it really depends on how miffed you would be?