Surrender in Storm over Europe

I see allot of the SOE games ending when Russia almost lost the war, or when the Axis is on the retreat in Russia.

IMO it is still fun as the Axis to keep playing and just try to get the draw or keep fighting and prolong the war as long as possible, or as the Allies try to still get a draw although the Red Army has no offensive power anymore and is holding on to her last strongholds.

Although I understand the fact that people would rather start a new game as quickly as possible instead of fighting a almost certain defeat.

What do you boys and girls thinking:)?

I like your thinking Von Lourens. Perhaps at least until the game is out of control, I feel there can be excitement gathered in an attempt to try to defend at least the end of the game. One of my favorite games was Panzer General II and playing people online with the worst possible scenarios for the Germans and seeing if I could hold out beyond the victory conditions.

Again if it is clear there is no stopping an opponent then yes I completely understand the urge to give in. Of course any opponent of mine wants to withdrawal anytime from a game I am always gracious and play them again as long as they give a heads up that they are withdrawing.

I like your thinking Von Lourens. Perhaps at least until the game is out of control, I feel there can be excitement gathered in an attempt to try to defend at least the end of the game. One of my favorite games was Panzer General II and playing people online with the worst possible scenarios for the Germans and seeing if I could hold out beyond the victory conditions.

Again if it is clear there is no stopping an opponent then yes I completely understand the urge to give in. Of course any opponent of mine wants to withdrawal anytime from a game I am always gracious and play them again as long as they give a heads up that they are withdrawing.

I know :), I fought you my first online game until you captured Berlin :o !

One of my favorite games was Panzer General II and playing people online with the worst possible scenarios for the Germans and seeing if I could hold out beyond the victory conditions.

One of my favourite scenarios in Panzer General I was the invasion of southern France in 1944 - I used to love trying to do a bit better each time. It was impossible to win, but great fun trying!

I totally agree with your philosophy, but I guess it depends on the availability of time too, and normally I will play to the end but just occasionally time constraints force the issue.

I like the idea of fighting right down to the ruins of Berlin in theory, but in practise I'm too much of a competitive player to put the AAR/storytelling above my own fun :P Such scenarios where the game is effectively over, but it just hasn't ended yet, is known as a 'lame duck' scenario, and I just don't enjoy them. I'd rather get a fresh beginning and go again so I can try and improve.

I'm pretty much the other side of the coin from Will. I seldom (it does happen though) surrender unless it is absolutely, definitely lost and there is no room to learn anything from the position. Also, sometimes my love of storytelling and the narrative that always develops while playing these games compel me to see it through regardless. Sometimes, rarely admittedly, surprising things happen and you can turn things around.

I do think you can learn quite a lot from playing to the end. Practicing defensive technique and strategy, testing out tech and units you otherwise wouldnt. A lost game becomes a practice field, go wild!

That said, I think SoE, along with many other of the WW2 scenarios, could use some comeback mechanisms for the Axis side. There are plenty of them for the allies, there has to be, but it would be fun to see the Allies get hit back and have to fight for it even once they get rolling. I have some ideas to that effect, such as a "fortress Europe" event that the germans pay for by turn for an extended period and that spawns fortifications early and an army group or so once allied units land in France, belgium or holland. That would also have several interesting effects, such as the Allies trying to look for alternate invasion points (italy looks like the soft underbelly eh?) and preventing "oh look, I'm doing amphib invasions with a corps and taking cities you dont have the units to defend" shenanigans. ^^