Quick question about installation on new rig.

AIUI, you don't need to deactivate on the old machine. You're allowed and permitted to use 4 activations (plus one per year), by default, and you've already used the ones on your old box; deactivating them doesn't get you any "lives" back. You'll be using another activation on your new rig anyway, so if there's a use for the old machine (making it a media centre for the living room, or what-have-you) you can keep CM on there if you don't need to get rid of it, (and thus have access to CM in your living room, to continue the example).

Oh, I thought it was only two activations! Neat if it's really four. Can you point me to official info?

Sorry, you'll be as quick finding an answer to that as I would. I think it's been 4 since at least the start of BN, and they added one activation per year on top, for those who frequently upgrade.

Is it possible to have two activations, one on my stationary PC and one on my laptop so that I play against my friend who visits me sometimes?

I don't know for sure whether "your" activations can play against each other, though I think they can. I'm sure Steve has said one of the purposes of the 4 activation thing is so that people can have a mobile rig and a static one, for travelling etc.

Sorry, you'll be as quick finding an answer to that as I would. I think it's been 4 since at least the start of BN, and they added one activation per year on top, for those who frequently upgrade.

Indeed - I actually think that you reset your 4 each time you buy a new module actually. And then you get an additional one if you claim it each year.

I don't know for sure whether "your" activations can play against each other, though I think they can.

I doubt there is a technical reason the cannot play against each other but I am pretty sure it is against the spirit of things.

I'm sure Steve has said one of the purposes of the 4 activation thing is so that people can have a mobile rig and a static one, for travelling etc.

Which is this ^^^