Future waypoint los question

I keep reading that there's a way to create a waypoint and then target from that waypoint to see what los the unit will have when it gets there but I cant figure out how to do it.

I would've thought creating a waypoint and then highlighting that waypoint and then clicking target would've worked but it doesn't.

How is it done?

Actually, you're being decieved by the display, and not, by any means, the first to be so.

What you want to do is entirely possible and (almost) fully supported. The only way in which it isn't is that the targeting line is drawn from the element's current location, rather than the waypoint you have selected. The range display is measured from the waypoint selected (which you can verify by putting the cursor near your selected waypoint, or the current location), the LOS/LOF assessment likewise, and if you actually choose a target, the targeting line will be therafter be drawn from the waypoint you want, and the unit will open fire when it gets there.

I keep hoping one day it'll get sorted out because it's a stupid guessing game to have to determine what, exactly, it is that's blocking LOS/LOF from "future" waypoints. No news yet on it being fixed in v3 though. :(

Actually, you're being decieved by the display, and not, by any means, the first to be so.

What you want to do is entirely possible and (almost) fully supported. The only way in which it isn't is that the targeting line is drawn from the element's current location, rather than the waypoint you have selected. The range display is measured from the waypoint selected (which you can verify by putting the cursor near your selected waypoint, or the current location), the LOS/LOF assessment likewise, and if you actually choose a target, the targeting line will be therafter be drawn from the waypoint you want, and the unit will open fire when it gets there.

I keep hoping one day it'll get sorted out because it's a stupid guessing game to have to determine what, exactly, it is that's blocking LOS/LOF from "future" waypoints. No news yet on it being fixed in v3 though. :(

Exactly! Such a pain - not least because it is so illogical! As the calculations are being done from the future waypoint - the hardest bit, one would assume? - how hard can it then be to draw the LOS/LOF line from that same point rather than from your current location?

It is not so bad if you CAN "see" where you want to from the future point; but if you cannot, the "guessing" as to why not begins ...

...so illogical! As the calculations are being done from the future waypoint - the hardest bit, one would assume? - how hard can it then be to draw the LOS/LOF line from that same point rather than from your current location?

I'm sure Charles has a reason for doing things the way he does; it obviously works according to the needful parameters. If the architecture were the way we think it "ought" to be, the game probably wouldn't have gotten written at all.

Or maybe it's a really simple job, just not near the top of the list because we haven't whinged hard enough yet :)