Films

Los

Just scored the following films from belleand blade:

1. The Bridge: (been discussed here before but I never got arund to seeing it.) Based on a true story. nominated for 1959 best foreign film. Most excellent!

2. "German Gebirsjaegers in Combat": Follows in detail a single Gebirsjageer attack against a Russian defensive line and village. Most excellent CM-fanatic type detail on how to attack a town. Great footage, the kind of stuff you show offcier cadets.

3. "Fallschirmjaeger vol I and II". Holy **** two hours plus history of the fallschirmjaeger, mucho great footage particularly of Crete and Cassino. Covers their weapons in detail. Includes a nice ten minute color segemnt shot of FJ parachute training in 1944.

4. "Saving Private Ryan DVD"."Nuff said, has somencie extra features.

STill to be viewed frown.gifwill keep you informed)

5. Cromwell 4 volume "History of the Russian Front."

6. "Stalingrad: Dogs do you want to live forever?" This was the original 1950s German flick on Stalingrad which was remade in the nineties by the guys that brought you Das Boot. Similar story but without all the hand wringing politcial bull****. Has the added advantage that becasue it's B&W it has lots of actual footage woven in, similar to what they did with Sands of Iwo Jima. New release supposedly just made available in through B&B.

Viewing is going slowly because I'm not supposed to let my two year old watch war flicks. Go figure?

Anyway in case you were getting bored with reading CM posts. ;)

Los

Another recommended sleeper war film:

'The Beast'

It's about the Soviet Afghan war. They used actual Soviet equipment courtesy of the Israelis. The opening sequence will blow you away...full platoon of T62's (or 64's not sure) firing real ammo assault a village. All authentic tank nuts must see.

It's on video but not DVD (damn!t)

-Ren

I second the request for a web site or some other way to get a catalog. It will help me add to my Christmas list.

I've already asked for a bunch of books and some Ultimate Soldier WWII 12" dolls. Can't hurt to add more stuff that people probably won't buy for me.

Jason

I don't think "The Bridge" is a true story. If it's the movie about ten or so teenage German boys from a small town in the spring of 1945 drafted and minimally trained together and ordered to hold a bridge against the oncoming Americans, "The Bridge" is based on a German novel of the same name. I read the novel in the late 50s or early 60s and saw the movie a few years later. While there were probably many similar events in March and April of 1945, this story is fiction.

Well the trailer into the movie is narrated by some guy from The Academy fo Arts and sciences(I think, I can check when I get home) that says "The Bridge" was adapted from the novel and that the Novel is based on a true story and that "these events actually transpired". Other than that, who knows?

Los