Luftwaffe FAC's

With all the talk of CAS going on and coming upon it in my readings, I would love to know how the Germans actually handled calling in air strikes. I know they had FAC's with panzer divisions like in the opening of Fall Blau but I am just curious how the organization of them and the process they go through to get the aircraft on target worked.

Thanks.

The Luftwaffe used "Flivos" to operate as a liaison between the air corps and ground troops. As a military concept it had no equal in combined arms tactics. Of course, success on the battlefield required air superiority. Once this was lost, so was the war.

However Close Air Support does not require Air Superiority, though it's certainly desirable. Even during major air battles such as over the Kursk salient, effective CAS and Interdiction from Stukas and bombers were being conducted (same for VVS too).

According to many people the Stuka was done after the battle of Britain, though I guess someone forgot to tell the Stuka Geschwader that.

Los

Here is a translation of recommandations for cooperation of Army units with a Fliegerleitoffizier and the original article in German that explains the methode very well:

http://www.yogysoft.de/schlachtflieger_cooperation.htm

Thanks this is really fascinating to me!

I didn't think FAC's were able to do stuff like this back than!

Good stuff, Juri.

BTW, the official title of the liaison officer mentioned above was Fliegerverbildungsoffizier or "Flivo" for short. Heyward makes ample mention of the Luftwaffe's role in close ground support in "Stopped at Stalingrad", another must read for fans of this chapter of military history.

BTW, the official title of the liaison officer mentioned above was Fliegerverbildungsoffizier or "Flivo" for short. Heyward makes ample mention of the Luftwaffe's role in close ground support in "Stopped at Stalingrad", another must read for fans of this chapter of military history.

The correct designation is Fliegerverbindungsoffizier.

Fliegerverbindungsoffiziere and Fliegerleitoffiziere had different responsibilities.

A Fliegerleitoffizier was solely a Forward Air Controller.

According to the link posted above a Fliegerverbindungsoffizier (Flivo) attached to a division could be used in this role too, but he was also a liason officer between Armee and Luftwaffe.

As far as I know Flivos existed on different levels, both in divisions and in armies.

The following information refers to a Flivo attached to an Army:

Found here:

http://www.wiki.luftwaffedata.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Flivo

"This position was created as part of the re-organisation that took place in Apr/May 1942.

Luftwaffe Staff officer (usually an Oberst) attached to an Armee Gruppe, Armee or Panzerarmee - responsible for the following:-

1. Liaison between the Armee Gruppe and the Fliegerkorps or Luftflotte operating within the area of the Armees control.

2. Briefing the Armee headquarters on the local air situation, the operational intentions of the Fliegerkorps or Luftflotte and its order of battle.

3. Passing to the Fliegerkorps or Luftflotte the Armee Gruppes wishes with regard to luftwaffe operations and any air transport requirements.

4. Briefing the Fliegerkorps or Luftflotte with regard to the ground situation within the Armeegruppes area of control, its operational intentions and the order of battle of the Armee formations.

5. Employment of the aircraft of the Kurrierstaffel attached to the headquarters of the Armee Gruppe.

6. Co-operation and co-ordinatioon with the Armees Quartermaster branch. "

I will see if I can also find information on the responsibilities of a Flivo in an army division.