Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

RIP General Kalashnikov

Saferight

Saferight,

Anyone who doubts one man can change the world has but to look at the almost incomprehensible global effects his AK-47 created. Last I heard, he was pretty torqued off over the AK-74 and other rifles in 5.45, considered them a leap backwards in lethality and was pushing hard for a return to 7.62 x 39 while pursuing advanced cartridge development. Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,

John Kettler

Saferight,

Anyone who doubts one man can change the world has but to look at the almost incomprehensible global effects his AK-47 created. Last I heard, he was pretty torqued off over the AK-74 and other rifles in 5.45, considered them a leap backwards in lethality and was pushing hard for a return to 7.62 x 39 while pursuing advanced cartridge development. Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,

John Kettler

Interesting I never heard about him disliking the 5.45x39 . When it comes to that cartridge I've read so many different view points on it's stopping power and accuracy etc. i don't know what to believe.

The closest you could get to one of those here would be probably $2000 for a parts kit gun with mostly matching parts and a non Russian barrel and Receiver.

It is very sad, we have many good old AK's on our warehouses and many of them will go to utilization, MolotArms have license to sell this guns on inside gun market after conversion to semi-auto. Maybe someday you will be have a chance to buy original AK in semi-auto.

:eek: Thats a pretty wicked setup for Hog hunting Baron.

Well we can get some Russian AK's but they mostly cant be a military style configuration so like these.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=384506518

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=384506518

This i think is the closest we can get to a true mil-spec made in Izhevsk AK. I wanna kick myself in the ass for not getting one of these when they first came out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=382931070

The closest you could get to one of those here would be probably $2000 for a parts kit gun with mostly matching parts and a non Russian barrel and Receiver.

No, they aren't that expensive here. Semi-auto AKs in the US run about 500-600 bucks, parts kit or fully complete.

This Saiga SGL-31 based on modern AK-101 I think.

What do you think, how much can be cost in US original soviet AK converted to semi-auto?

I would have to look that one up i've never come across it before. President Clinton I believe made a deal in the 90's restricting the importation of military firearms from the Russian federation. The fear I believe was of higher quality soviet made arms flooding the streets. Lots of mosin rifles, SKS, other old guns made it through first though. I could be wrong but I think that's when the Tigr civilian SVD rifles were imported as well.

People can argue what's the best between the various Warsaw pact rifles but I would always take a Russian over any other if given the opportunity. That's not going to happen so for a AKM a polish or Egyptian Maadi would be next best thing for me personally.

Back to the SGL-31 is based off the AK-74m. Arsenal in Las Vegas had them made at Izmash to help finally bring a true Russian mil-spec rifle to the market.

Ive heard talk that Russia is considering selling off its stock of AK-74's when the AK-12 comes into service, if it ever does. No way we'll ever see any in New Zealand, but you American guys might see a few coming your way. Sad to see such a patriot pass away, definitely the end of an era in small arms, for Russia and the world.

Ive heard talk that Russia is considering selling off its stock of AK-74's when the AK-12 comes into service, if it ever does. No way we'll ever see any in New Zealand, but you American guys might see a few coming your way. Sad to see such a patriot pass away, definitely the end of an era in small arms, for Russia and the world.

The only way that would happen is if the receivers were torch-cut like the Romanian ones, as there are restrictions on what firearms can be imported from Russia into the US.

Thats why were talking about Russian-made in Izmash AK rifles. Your talking about the bottom end of the market AK clones either imported or made in USA.

Ah, I see. :) But, truth be told, the Romanian ones imported in the latter years are much better quality than the ones that first hit the market. I don't own mine any more, but my Romanian one was perfectly fine, as is my friend's, which he built from a parts kit.

The only way that would happen is if the receivers were torch-cut like the Romanian ones, as there are restrictions on what firearms can be imported from Russia into the US.

I don't know if that arms treaty between from the Clinton era ever expired but i doubt we would see much if any of them coming here. That stock of AK-74s will probably find their way to armies around the world. I know cause of that causalities would increase in certain conflicts around the world with a more accurate round like the 5.45x39 replacing the 7.62x39. I don't see that happening for a very long time at least not in our time.

Back to AKs in the US i have nothing against the Romanian rifles except for cosmetic reasons mostly. I have read the quality from a certain importer has improved over the years but even their great prices still wont make me take the final leap with them.

Is the AK-12 still on track to replace the AK-74m? I had read i think it was either financial issues or issues with the Rifle itself had been holding the transition up.