A Suggestion

It would be nice to be able to mod and add new vehicles and troops - that's the only way I can see 1940 being added (also I'd have a go at doing a WW1 mod :)). I believe BF policy is not to allow mods like this - only skins and such. I except this is to protect their product and therefore stop a team producing a Russian front mod which could hurt sales. Its a difficult choice I expect as some see mods as helping sales whilst others see them as hurting sales.

Don't be too sure. Certainly on armor and weapons issues many of the French and British tanks were on a more or less equal footing. But where the Germans had an edge, and it was a decisive one, was in three man turrets and multiplicity of radios. This allowed them to be used with much greater efficiency.

And that edge would not be apparent in this game other than perhaps rate of fire - but the B1 is essentially invulnerable to the Panzer III and the S 35 isn't far behind while possessing high single-shot-kill probability with their 47-mm gun.

Besides, if you don't have a radio, that's one fewer person you need in the turret. :D

As for the British, the Matilda I was armed with just a machine gun, and the Matilda II was almost powerless against infantry. And they were both obscenely slow.

The Matilda I was a pillbox. The Matilda II had a coax MG. Unless the infantry had a 75 or 88 to call on, it couldn't do squat to either Matilda. Nor could the German armour.

Slow, yes - but damn near invincible.

And that edge would not be apparent in this game other than perhaps rate of fire...

But also in how quickly it can acquire a target and all sorts of C2 effects.

...but the B1 is essentially invulnerable to the Panzer III...

Until the Germans figured out its weak spot and how to exploit that. Then it was virtually meat on the table.

...and the S 35 isn't far behind while possessing high single-shot-kill probability with their 47-mm gun.

If it gets off the first shot. And then only if there is only one German tank it has to face, and what we are trying to tell you is how unlikely that was. The Germans at this point in time we much further ahead in developing well-coordinated combat, especially combined arms combat. So a platoon of French tanks wouldn't necessarily have just been up against a platoon of German tanks, but also German AT guns and possibly also artillery and/or attack aircraft.

Besides, if you don't have a radio, that's one fewer person you need in the turret. :D

I hope you are intending that as a joke. In the first place, in most cases the radio operator was the assistant driver/hull MG gunner and wasn't in the turret in any case. But more importantly, you'd still need a gunner and a loader in the turret. Trying to give the TC either or—even worse—both jobs turned out to be a very bad idea. Especially if the TC also happens to be the platoon or company CO and is trying to control several more tanks without radios.

Michael

I'd take the German tanks over the allied ones any day of the week. First of all, scenario designers would have to take the fact that the Germans massed their tanks into thought, which means that Germans would always have numerical superiority, at least with armor. Even though they had fewer tanks, the Germans didn't split up their armor into small groups to be committed peace meal like the French/Brits did. Also, the one-man turret is crippling. If the TC is unbuttoned, the tank is pretty much neutered (yes, the B1 did have a hull-mounted gun). You'd have to choose between firepower and visibility, and even when buttoned the tank would have a much slower rate of fire. The lack or radios would play havoc with C2, and prevent armored forces from having access to artillery or air support. As to the Brit tanks, they're slow and unresponsive. Yes, you may not breach the hull. But you could spook the crew, shoot up the optics, immobilize it, etc. While I love the early war Allied armor, it was pretty ineffective.

Also, let's not forget the Panzerjäger I. IIRC, that little thing was pretty much invented to kill the French monsters and other heavily armored vehicles. Anyone know what the Czech 47mm on that would do to an S-35 or B1? While we're at it, what would the 150mm on the Sturmpanzer I in direct fire do? Now THAT would be fun...:D