What are you using for operational campaigns

Hey guys, our small LAN gaming group is looking to do an operational game with CMSF. We have done this with some VASSAL WWII games in the past. Little bit of spread sheets/record keeping but lots of fun playing out the more interesting tactical battles using CMBN.

Question any recommendations for the operational layer to use for CMSF. Should we go with any of the vassal board games? If so do you have any in the modern era 1980's onward you could recommend. One of your favorite board games?

OR should we look at any computer ones you can think of? Red Storm? Not sure on the CMPzC - is it difficult to setup and run?

Thanks!

I heard of some people using the board game Air & Armor by West End Games for the operational gaming of a CMSF campaign that was in development.

Alas, it got too ambitious for the principal people developing the framework for the campaign and it fell by the wayside, but the concept was sound.

HPS Middle East '67 has a map for the 82 war and a scenario Peace for Galilee as well as another updating the Oob for 2004 and a US intervention in Lebanon. The map includes a lot of stuff in Lebanon and the SW portion Syria. You can alter the OoB any way you want and it would give you at least something to work with. Unfortunately you can't expand the map.

If you are looking for something more European based you can use the Danube Front game and again alter the OoB how you see fit. The map itself is huge covering all of Germany and portions of Austria, Netherlands, Denmark etc.

Noob has taken the lead on trying to set some basis for converting HPS games. At a minimum it is a good place to start for looking at the campaign process.

• 1 month later...

Danube Front is that on vassal or using HPS....in our small group I find the Vassal engine easier as I am not IT guy. Any good board war-games (just for the counters and nice maps) - boring battles we just throw dice to resolve using the indigenous board game rules.

Thanks guys for the info!

I heard of some people using the board game Air & Armor by West End Games for the operational gaming of a CMSF campaign that was in development.

Alas, it got too ambitious for the principal people developing the framework for the campaign and it fell by the wayside, but the concept was sound.

Hmm have to try that one. On Vassal I take it? What is the scale? Looking for company/battalion level modern cold war vassal modules. Hard to find surprisingly :)

• 3 weeks later...

I really wonder if it isn't better to use cardboard modern wargames to quickly set up operational situations then translate into a tactical CMSF game.

In addition to some of the old out of print games like the quite detailed and accurate GAMERS games (now at Minuteman Games I think), check out Decision Games and GMT Games websites.

Oh, there is of course Shrapnel Games who do "serious" military style computer games.

Have a link to Danube Front.....

Looks doable have looked at the HPS CMBN stuff in the past. Looks easy enough for us.

Hey anyone looking to sell or trade for Danube Front? $50.00 is a little much for any of the HPS games haha. Yes I have most back in the day :)

Erwin I would love to find a decent VASSAL counter game as we have used in the past. Just can't find any decent ones with smaller units involved. Say Battalion level or lower. Any recommendations?

All the best I am back to CMSF 1.32.....took a few weeks and 3 tickets :)