AstroCat's Sound Mod Compilation v1

AstroCat

AstroCat's Sound Mod Compilation v1

Located here:

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5044/details

This is my sound mod compilation for Combat Mission. It is a mishmash of sounds from all kinds of sources including original ones. It also features many tweaks from me including EQ'ing, mixing and all kinds of sound design as needed. If anyone is interested in how or why I did something please just let me know and I would be happy to discuss it. I put this mod together totally for fun and because for me sound is a huge part of my game playing experience. (I'm a sound designer/composer in "real life" so I love this stuff! :) )

Credits go to all the original sources, which would be the actual foley guys who recorded the original takes, sound designers who worked on the sounds, the VO editor, talent and engineers, the composer of the music edits I used and to all those who assembled them and tweaked them along the way before I got them.

This is a "living project" and I will tweak and update as I hear the need so I hope to update this compilation along the way.

If anyone wants their specific sounds removed from this compilation just let me know and I'll take them out. Also if I used some sound and you recognize it as yours please let me know and I will note the credit or take it out as requested. This is for fun and for everyone to enjoy, the last thing I want to do is make someone upset.

Was listening to them with WMP so that explains it. Good to hear they work ingame.

I love the dramatic & haunting music in the main menu...It really sets the mood. The tank track sound comes in a bit abrubtly at 1:25 though. Did you make it yourself?

I put that intro together a really long time ago, to be honest I don't remember were I got the original sources on that one. Good point, funny that faded version got in there. My mistake I have one that fades better. Here it is... but I'll also include it in a future update.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a1senpt70pp3peo/music_intro.rar

In the middle of playing a battle with this mod on and I have to say it's really immersive.

I have a minor complaint about vehicle movement sounds being really quiet. The idle sound is louder than the movement sounds and infantry running over pavement is really loud when compared to a tank moving. You don't have to move the camera very far for a moving tank to sound like a whisper.

It's a careful balance, since it's really annoying if vehicle movement sounds become a drone that drowns out all other sounds, but right now I think they are too quiet.

Can I ask what kind of speakers you are using for playback? The reason I ask is that there is a lot more low end content in the vehicle moving sounds and maybe your not picking it up?

If you look at the .wav files you will see that the vehicle idle is a good 9dB lower than the vehicle moving SFX (on purpose), it definitely sounds a lot quieter over here when compared to the movement. I did pay a lot of attention to that balance but I'm using my reference setup here to do it which might have a wider frequency bandwidth.

As for the walk on pavement sounds, yeah I was debating taking them down just a bit to take the "edge" off, I will see about lowering the concrete walking 3dB for the next revision. Although they sit pretty good in the mix as is. Interestingly they have more mid high content which would go along with why you are hearing the vehicle sound mix the way you are.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm using Sennheiser HD650 headphones. There's a remarkable difference between listening to the wavs and how it plays out ingame, when playing the wav the tank movement sound is loud and beefy, the low end is present. But when I'm playing the vehicle movement sounds really thin and quiet, nowhere near how it probably should sound compared to all the other relative levels.

I'm running this mod on a beta version, so it may affect it somehow, although unlikely...I will take the mod off and see if vehicle movement sounds in general are somehow muted in this build.

Hhmm, this is really strange. Doing an ear comparison between the idle wav and the movement wav the difference is extremely audible as in that picture...

But what I hear ingame is completely different, I'd guess the movement loop is played ~6db quieter than the idle loop. I just played with vanilla sounds and the relative levels there are fine. I'm really puzzled at what the game is doing to these loops.

I'm playing on an low-end system but when I run out of memory in Cubase the sound either stops completely or starts to chop. The level never gets pulled down. I'm wondering how to record what I hear ingame since FRAPs doesn't work all that well on my poor old computer.

I have noticed with my own mod that vehicle sounds in particular sometimes get a bit muted.

I have no idea why this happens, but it does.

And as for movement sounds, they play differently depending on the movement order of the vehicle.

Try putting a vehicle on fast and then slow and then reverse... you'll notice a difference...

Yeah, I just tested it out over here again and I noticed that all the sounds are played a good bit lower in the game than when playing them out of the game, but that is across the board.

I am hearing the difference between the movement and idle "correctly" though.

I took a look at the default sound .wav files and the main difference is that their idle SFX is about 4dB-6dB on average louder than mine (which I though was too loud and distracting). The movement I am only about 2.5dB - 3.0dB quieter then theirs and I have good amount more low end content.

So, I am not sure why you are hearing them so quiet. I could take them both up 3dB overall, that's super easy and the headroom is there. But, it sounds like what you are hearing is more dramatic?

I have noticed with my own mod that vehicle sounds in particular sometimes get a bit muted.

And as for movement sounds, they play differently depending on the movement order of the vehicle.

Try putting a vehicle on fast and then slow and then reverse... you'll notice a difference...

Yeah I compared the same 2 files, vehicle loop engine idle heavy.wav and vehicle loop move heavy track.wav from my mod to yours. My vehicle loop move heavy track.wav is just a little bit quieter (like only 1.5dB - 3dB). So they sounds almost the same level wise in-game. My vehicle loop engine idle heavy.wav is a lot quieter than yours, 10dB-12dB.

So the difference for me in-game is that the idle is a good bit quieter than the movement, it is more pronounced in my mod compared to yours or vanilla. This is really strange because that is not what Zebulon Pleasure Beast II is hearing but he should be, even more so with my mod.

What I could do is boost the low end some more and see if that helps.

I took the mod out, restarted the game with no mods and then put it back in and now the levels are at what I think is normal.

The level was so low that when I had the camera right next to a moving tank I could barely hear it moving while all other sounds were fine.

Really strange but now it's working. :D

Oh and I always liked the SFX you used for vehicle loop move heavy track.wav, but I went with a different one just to mix it up a bit. :)

In the middle of playing a battle with this mod on and I have to say it's really immersive.

I have a minor complaint about vehicle movement sounds being really quiet. The idle sound is louder than the movement sounds and infantry running over pavement is really loud when compared to a tank moving. You don't have to move the camera very far for a moving tank to sound like a whisper.

It's a careful balance, since it's really annoying if vehicle movement sounds become a drone that drowns out all other sounds, but right now I think they are too quiet.

I also sometimes have this problem with the vehicle engine sounds playing back very quiet. Toggling the sound off and back on (ALT + S) restores the sound to a normal level, at least temporarily.

I know I've had it happen with my own mod, which does not include engine sounds, so I don't think it has anything to do with the modded file. Frankly, it might happen without mods, too, but it's been ages since I've played without a sound mod loaded.

I suspect it might have something to do with multiple sources of the loop initiating simultaneously, and might get worse if the file is larger than stock. Kind of a unique characteristic of the vehicle idle loops.

Checking it now. Cool stuff here.

What I don't personally like is that you included background fog where there seems to be a wind howling - when there is fog wind is not likely to blow. Can you maybe swap this with something else more immersive?

Edit: Seems like we have similar sound taste - I did personal mixing of the available mods and most of the files you used are the same like mine. Heh. If you would be a woman we would have a perfect match here! ;)

Edit 2: In hits folder you copied from that mod you used also the annoying same sound that is present in some files like for example in files "bullet hit concrete 3", "bullet hit building 5" and "bullet hit metal b 7" to name a few. I personally edited all the files with this annoying sound out. What is it supposed to represent in the first place?

I'll check your edit 2 comments out and see what's up.

EDIT: Ok I checked them out, yeah it's kind of a weird ricochet. I removed it because I also don't think it's that good, the next version won't have them. Hopefully the rest of the impacts, shots, zips, etc... sound good.