Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Fatigue

I haven't done any scientific testing of any kind, but I have made some observations.

I've been playing scenarios that have large maps.

I've been running infantry all over everywhere.

I've observed a couple things.

First, the load they carry doesn't seem to affect the speed they can travel at.

But it does appear, to me, to affect how quickly and completely they become fatigued. Infantry carrying light loads (just what they started the scenario with, their basic combat load) appear to be able to cover far more ground than infantry carrying extra ammo, AT-4s and especially Javelins.

Javelins are the infantryman's answer to prayer, but they're heavy.

Infantry carrying Javelins reach fatigue and exhausted status far earlier, and what is equally significant, appear to take longer to return to ready status.

That's just my feeling, and I'm interested in what others have observed.

Let me ask a different question: has anyone's infantry run out of ammo in this game after starting with the basic load?

I've run out of infantry AT weapons, but I've never seen a squad that started with standard ammo run out 5.56 or 40 mm.

I´ve been testing this issue, after 15 minutes of continuous fire the marines stop shooting (target light), only one soldier continues a few minutes more, probably because he´s using a different weapon.

On another note sometimes it is imposible to acquire less than 1000 ammo (at least for 5.56 mm) for an unit. It´s something annoying cos one unit sucks ammo that can be useful for others.

If you use suppressive fire a lot then yes it's not hard to run out of the basic load. I always load extra.

However, I do wonder if one is allowed to add too much ammo as maxing out the extra ammo doesn't seem to add that much additional fatigue. Maybe I just don't run my guys that much...

I ran a test on a Stryker MOUT company.

One platoon carried their standard load, with nothing extra. Just as they came off the bus.

One platoon carried their standard load and all available AT weapons-- Javelins and AT4s.

One platoon carried everything they could get from their Strykers. All ammo, all AT weapons. Both MG teams were carrying more than 14,000 rounds each. All squads had more than 4,000 rounds of 5.56.

I called them the lightly loaded platoon, the AT platoon, and the heavily loaded platoon.

I took these notes as the company moved on "Quick" to the end of the map, a flat map with no terrain, 1008 meters long. (1008 meters because the editor was designed by a programmer, not a soldier.)

The first units to reach tiring were the MG teams in the heavily loaded platoon, at 304 meters and 306 meters.

Next was the heavily loaded platoon HQ, at about 310 meters.

A lightly loaded MG team reached tiring at 387 meters.

A heavily loaded squad reached tiring at 398 meters.

At 400 meters, an AT squad and both AT MGs reached tiring.

A lightly loaded MG team reached tiring at 427 meters.

The last squad to reach tiring was a lightly loaded squat at 487 meters.

The first two teams to reach tired were the two heavily loaded MG teams, at 510 meters and 516 meters.

The heavily loaded Platoon HQ reached tired at 565 meters.

A heavily loaded squad reached tired at 650 meters.

An AT squad reached tired at 675 meters.

A lightly loaded MG team reached tired at 685 meters.

All units were tired by 780 meters.

The heavily loaded MGs and Platoon HQ were fatigued by 900 meters.

The slowest straggler on the first leg was one of the lightly loaded MG teams.

There was virtually no difference in speed between any unit on the first leg.

One AT MG team reached fatigued during the turn, at 1008 meters.

The other AT MG team reached fatigued 50 meters into the second leg. (1058 meters).

A heavily loaded squad reached fatigued 60 meters into the second leg. (1068 meters.)

60 meters into the second leg, (1068 meters) the heavily loaded Platoon HQ and both heavily loaded MGs reached exhausted, and switched from "quick" to "move". One of the MG teams and the HQ came back up to fatigued about ten meters later, and I switched them back to "quick". Within 3 meters, both reached exhausted again, and I left them at "move".

A lightly loaded MG team reached fatigued 115 meters into the second leg. (1123 meters).

The next unit to reach exhausted was a heavily loaded squad, at 270 meters into the second leg. (1278 meters).

The last unit to reach fatigued was the lightly loaded Platoon HQ, 320 meters into the second leg-- 1328 meters.

The next unit to reach exhausted was an AT MG, 320 meters into the second leg. (1328 meters.)

The last unit to reach exhausted was the lightly loaded Platoon HQ, at 590 meters into the second leg. (1598 meters.)

Those are my notes, draw your own conclusions.

There is a significant difference in speed between "Quick" and "Move". An exhausted unit will quickly be left behind by a unit that is not exhausted.

My conclusions are that there is no significant penalty for a heavily loaded infantry unit. In game terms, as long as the distance you're going to run them is less than a click, there's not going to be a difference.

My conclusions are that there is no significant penalty for a heavily loaded infantry unit. In game terms, as long as the distance you're going to run them is less than a click, there's not going to be a difference.

Exactly. I did another test for five or six minutes of quick movement and reached the same conclusions. It´s important to notice that units have no limits to carry ammo (ie 5.56 mm), they are supermen.

Interesting results Jammersix and Whiterider.

Hauling 1000 rounds of just 5.56 "Quick" to the end of the map, a flat map with no terrain, 1008 meters long ... in real life.... would be very tough to do. Add terrain features, weather, protection gear, etc. and maybe someone(s) trying to shoot you and getting exhausted would happen fairly soon.