Cmsf Exec Vanished

Haven't played CMSF for a couple of months, and just now noticed that the v1.32 .exe file has vanished. I had a 1.31 back up which I copied to the game folder and applied the 1.32 patch. But, it launches the base version with no modules active and it doesn't tell me which version is running(!).

I do have all three module execs in the module folder. ((Altho' I had to copy the Brits and NATO over from a BU folder as they were also missing.)

Am hoping this can be fixed without the complex reinstallation process. Any ideas?

Vanishing exe files are usually a sign of anti-virus software acting up and removing the files. This happens when you allow your AV software to do "heuristic" scanning, which is basically just "guessing", and at the same time allow it to remove files without notification/approval. You need to change your settings and/or whitelist the files.

Not sure about the missing version number etc. but it sounds like your installation is incomplete. I would make the AV settings change then simply reinstall everything from scratch (you do not need to uninstall).

Ok thank you...

My AVG used to ask me b4 it did anything. I just checked settings and it still should... plus the CMSF programs are "exceptions" so should not be affected.

What's puzzling is that because this has happened b4, I had backup's of my v1.32 exec programs on my C:/ drive as well as a BU D:/ drive and they disappeared as well. However, the older 1.31 was still there.

Please can you remind me where the instructions for how to reinstall are. I recall it was fairly complex re the order of doing things.

In the best case scenario you don't need to re-install. AVG has hopefully put the 'offending' fiel - the exe - in a quarantined vault somewhere. It should be possible to find the exe and move it back where it was, and the game should then work again. It worked for me when AVG got a bit over-zealous in the past.

Yeah, that happened to me b4 and I was able to restore from the AVG vault. But, this time it's empty. :( \

AVG seems to have a real hard-on for CMSF as it keeps locating every version and back-up of CMSF.exe and telling me it's infected. And this time AVG removed em all. It flags CMA but hasn't removed anything. It doesn't seem to mind the other CM2 games thank goodness.

You dont have to completly reinstall the game + modules to get the exes back actually. It is sufficient to install all the patches from 1.21a to 1.32 just over your already existing installation. I have the same issue with AVG as you Erwin and i know that reinstalling the patches isnt the best solution but at least its less work than reinstalling the game + all modules.

I dont know exactley how to install the games, but i am sure the info is available somwhere at the BFC website. However i could upload the latest exes (all modules, patched to 1.32) to Dropbox so you can dl them as needed. Actually i think that i am going to put them there anyways so i can dl them myself if AVG decides again to delete them, so it would not be an additional effort for me to make them available for you too. Send me a PM with the nickname/email (i am not sure exactly wich of the two i need) you use at Dropbox if you want too.