Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

SdKfz 251 Panzergrenadier use of it

There is some most useful information at the link (unfortunate URL, but Google doesn't care) on Page 50 regarding how the 251 was used in combat. Am starting a new thread because I don't recall where the earlier discussion was and because I've done a lot of research today. There are a number of surprises on that page, and the book itself is awash with grog goodness. What's said there has convinced me that that WW II combat sketch of the 251 roaring in, MG blazing, troops up and firing and grenades being hurled was from real combat procedure. Want to say there was an account of something much like that in the CMAK book, but maybe it was elsewhere. It was an attack out of the setting sun and was later viewed as "Welcome to the desert (greenhorns)!"

http://www.nazi.org.uk/military%20pdfs8/WWIIInfantryTacticsVol2-CompanyAndBattalion.pdf

Regards,

John Kettler

Have we not done this one to death John? There are also better sources of info regarding SPW tactics from 41 through to 45 which illustrate how the tactics evolved due to changing battlefield conditions i.e. increase AT weapon capability, Germans losing tactical edge etc etc.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=109433&highlight=halftracks&page=13

A word of caution: a 1943 field manual doesn't necessarily reflect what really went on, or what actually worked in the threat environment of 1943, let alone 1944 or 1945. That Osprey book really doesn't add anything to the already well-hashed arguments either way. Telling PzGr to close on the enemy in their vehicles when the enemy platoons have organic ATG and/or their squads are armed with bazooka and PIAT seems dangerously like someone's early-war tacticaldogma getting promulgated well past its time to me. I think it's telling that the only two examples given (beyond airy statements about frequent success, not specific as to date or theatre or conditions) are of mounted grenadiers failing spectacularly.