Just curious about the Brits

I've seen all the screenshots and movies that have been posted, and unless I'm blind (which heck, could be a real possibility because every now and then I'm real inattentive), I haven't seen anything with British units.

Have any been posted that I've just been too thick to see? Are they going to be in the game?

Thanks for any answers.

Tom

I dunno; I guess I thought it kind of odd that the game is supposed to be coming out this summer and we haven't seen a British screenshot.

Call me paranoid, but I hope that this does not mean that we won't have nation specific AI.

Come to think of it; will the AI be distinct from Allied > German side? Anyone know?

Tom

Guest Lokesa

I was just wondering if you've made a tea animation for the british units. Could be kind of neat to see the british stop and cook up a batch with an intense firefight raging around them smile.gif

The British 'Tea' obsession is not so far off the mark; I go through about as much caffeine a day as your average North American....but it's mostly tea, wickedly strong microwaved stuff.

Coffee? Pah; give me a nice cuppa Earl Grey any day.

Reason I was asking about nation specific AI was because of the difference that the infantry have in using the Panzerfaust .vs. the PIAT.

Tom

Guest Lokesa

I don't know how much would filter down to the level in combat mission but didn't the British and American forces have rather different philosophies about waging war? I understood that the British were much more conservative than their American counterparts often stopping to consolidate where the Americans would look to exploit whatever advantage they had gained. I guess I'm mainly referring to Montgomery, was his style typical of most British officers and doctrine?

Good comments. I personally can't think of two more diametrically opposed Commanders than Monty and Patton.

It is important to remember than alot of the British command was interested in saving their men whenever possible after the horrendous losses just a generation previous. "Over the top lads!" Rat-tat-tat-tat-tat. Sheesh. Hence the "Advance, Consolidate, Tea, Advance" mentality.

The US had not been sufficiently blooded in WWI to develop this sort of attitude. And given US "Wild West" history, the somewhat reckless, slashing attacks of Patton are the opposite of the Brit mentality. The German command generally viewed Patton as the most dangerous of the Allied generals.

In the end, Monty and Patton were both prima donnas, but IMHO, one with cause, and one without.

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 06-28-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Tom, we haven't had time to put in most units, not to mention the British ones, at this point. This has ZERO to do with the simulation. Just a matter of doing up the TO&E and vehicle models. In other words, grunt work. In fact we do have some Brits running around, but we don't have any British vehicles. The Cromwell that is being built as we speak will take care of that wink.gif

In terms of AI for different nations... it is basically already in. At the low level there wasn't much difference between Allied and German tactics at this point in the war. Sure, there was PLENTY of difference in how each went into battle (i.e. the Brits would wait until EVERYBODY was ready, the US generally went in sooner, and the Germans would go at it even if they knew they were at a disadvantage. This bit is simulated by the available forces.

Now, how wepaons were used was quite different, but this isn't the same thing as different tactics were based on weapon system, not national distinction (i.e. you wouldn't see a Stuart using the same logic that a Pershing would). The TacAI we already have in the game takes care of this to a large degree. A German unit armed with a Panzerfaust will not behave the same as a British team with a PIAT. The reason is that each unit acts, and reacts, based on its qualities. This means that a tank with thin armor is going to be more skittish, a thickly armored vheicle much more willing to take punishment.

At one level of AI up the same thing will happen (though it hasn't been coded yet). The AI will, regardless of national side, treat units based on their abilities. The German AI would no more move in HTs to attack a Sherman than the Allied AI direct M-8s to take on a King Tiger.

Again, both sides used basically the same tactics on the battlefield of 1944-45. This is no accident. The Allies had largely emulated German attack doctrine over the previous 2 years of war.

Steve

Pak40 said:

"but will they be wearing those cute little skirts into battle? "

I am reminded of a thoroughly despicable joke about why they wear those cute little skirts.

If you don't know, trust me, don't ask :)

DjB

------------------

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion.

remove the caps letters in my address to email me

Steve, thanks for the answer. As long as troops behave differently based upon the ability of the equipment that they possess, this is sufficient for me smile.gif

There are doctrinal differences in small unit tactics even in 1944, however, I'll settle for a good AI....and it seems good so far.

As an aside, I've seen what happens when users request a feature post release (and I'm guilty of this myself); quite frequently the game will appear 'dumber', and in many instances this is because the AI has not been made 'aware' of system changes. For instance, I asked for op fire range selections in one game (er, I even started to organize an email campaign to get this done), and when they were put in, I found myself not using them....because the AI just didn't set it's defaults with the same skill level.

Tom

ps if anyone wants to play me pbem anything, I'm off for a week and have some time on my hand.

thodavie@videon.wave.ca