Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Buttoning Up

>Playing CM:BN

>Tank commander gets shot at.

>Automatically hides in Sherman like sissy babby.

>Situation: Contained

-Later-

>Playing CB:SF

>Tank commander gets shot at.

>Gets shot to pieces while leaning, nonchalently, out of the turret for five minutes.

>Situation: #rekkd

Is this normal? Or am I missing an update? ;_;

Not sure if this is the right forum - you playing CMBN by the sound of things. Not sure what CB:SF is though. WWII armour tank commanders have better situational awareness unbuttoned although that makes em more at risk from being killed from shot/shell. Modern armour in most cases is better buttoned allowing use to be made of IR sights etc. Unbuttoned works in this case better often in built up areas but gain puts the TC at risk of being gunned down in the cupola.

I've never done side-by-side comparison. CMSF tcs will definitely button up of their own accord eventually if it they come under fire, but it may well be the threshold for buttoning up in CMSF is higher than in CMBN; I don't know.

But George MC is definitely correct that there is much less reason to unbutton NATO tanks in CMSF compared to CMBN -- current first-world MBTs have very good optics and sensors that let the crews spot quite well from inside. I almost always leave NATO tanks buttoned in CMSF, except when the .50 BMG in the CWS needs to be reloaded, in which case I usually pull back into defilade and unbutton the commander so he can execute the re-load in safety.

If you play Syrian side it can be different, depending on the quality of Syrian tank you're working with. Some of the older Syrian tanks especially are pretty blind when buttoned.

There are some vehicles in CMSF, such as recon Strykers, that have to unbutton to fire their weapon(s). Deciding when and where to take the risk and unbutton these vehicles can be very tricky.

I think you're mostly seeing the change in the range and rate of fire of close combat arms over that time-period - optics abound, as do good assault rifles.

Also, there have been more than a few tweaks of the engine between games and it wouldn't surprise me if there is a difference due to one or more of these.