A thought on the naming of quickbattle maps.

Who decided which maps went where when the game was made?

Because me and my friend tried a couple of QB's yesterday and felt that the maps didn't correspond to the landscapes we had picked to fight in.

So today i went through some of the QB maps (only small so far since we prefer smaller skirmishes) and most of them do not correspond to their names.

for example:

Asslt Small Forest QB-087-089 does not seem like forested areas to me. Yes, there are small patches of woods in them but they mostly look like farmland.

Asslt Small Hills (water) QB-044 seems hardly hilly to me. More like a fairly open village with one or two tiny tiny hills.

Asslt Small Open (bocage) QB-027 feels more like a village with some bocage and farms around it. Not very open in general.

Asslt Small Open (bocage) QB-068 This should be under Hills if you ask me! Its a valley with bocage and forested areas! Perfect for a "hilly" map...

I could go on, but i think you get the idea.

So who decided which maps would go where?

And is it the same in CM:FI?

My OCD and Autism are starting to kick in and i might actually sit down and rename all of them to the right categories :/

Ive already "mapped" the small quickbattle maps.

I will be moving on to the medium ones next and then the large ones.

Im doing this for my own private use of course, since renaming all the QB maps would have wierd consequences for PBEM gamers i suppose.

But for those who only play H2H on the same computer it might be a nice thing, but i doubt i would be allowed to release it for download by Battlefront.

Since its actually stuff from the game and not something ive created myself, it would probably break the TOS if released.

...but i doubt i would be allowed to release it for download by Battlefront.

Since its actually stuff from the game and not something ive created myself, it would probably break the TOS if released.

You could write a script that renames files automatically. Anyone that wants renamed files could just download your .bat file - no need for uploading renamed maps.

If you don't know how to do this, I'd be happy to do it for you. Just PM me.

You could write a script that renames files automatically. Anyone that wants renamed files could just download your .bat file - no need for uploading renamed maps.

If you don't know how to do this, I'd be happy to do it for you. Just PM me.

I think i will PM you when im done with the "remapping" then :)

(because i suck at stuff like writing scripts and the like, but im good at doing the legwork :D )

No worries.

All I need is a list (ideally written up in a .txt doc) of all the old files names and a list of the new names entered underneath. Something like this would be ideal:

QB_old_file name_1

QB_new_file name_1

QB_old_file name_2

QB_new_file name_2

Note: EACH file name, one underneath the other.

There's no need to include the file type (.btt) because that doesn't need renaming.

For some extra convenience we could reverse the process in the same script - thus reverting the new names back to their original names - a two way door instead of one. How's that sound?