CMPzC Bulge '44 Crossroads Operation - Allied HQ

Ehm, tried to play your movies, but after downloading I get a message that my PC doesn't have a program that can open the file. Do I need to download something else?

Ignore that message, I get it myself. If you go to the folder that your PC downloads files to, you will find the .ema file for the turn.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 054 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

Password: rawsthorne

The PzIV tank rush wasn't, it's now at rest in the open, so I am obliged to snipe it with an M10, see next movie for the result. The two PzIV's are still lurking on my left, well within bazooka range from cover. I now deeply regret using them as unsupported AT infiltration teams, as I could really do with them now, I think I will be revising the way I use these units from now.

Axis infantry are now running around in the open in the village, so I must take them out with AA next turn. Axis infantry contacts on my right justify the 240m area fire circle I have set up for such an event. I have a small group of men that have a LOS on them, so they need to delay those enemy troops long enough for the arty to fall. Fortunately I have my FO on the job so the delay is minimal. I have sent a three man AA ammo team to support them.

Regarding the artillery, this map is perfect for using the Emergency fire plan, as accuracy is not an issue, but surprise is. I am becoming a big fan of Emergency strikes the more I use them.

On a final note, I am surprised that my opponent did not level the multi storey buildings with HE fire from his tanks at the start of the game. I deliberately did not deploy my FO in the three storey building for that very reason.

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 056 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

This turn was the most frustrating turn of the game so far. I went from a situation where I could of knocked out two tanks, to one where I lost one. What happened was that I had an M10 waiting in an ambush position in the forest with two PzIV's crawling toward it. Both PzIV's were distracted by LMG fire, so it was looking good for at least one tank kill, that was until the M10 in question was knocked out by a PzIV at the back of the map.

Now I admit I did not consider this when I set the waypoint for the M10, however that would of been academic if the other M10 that was ordered to take out that tank had not stopped prematurely before it could establish a LOS. The reason it did this was because I had the tank on hunt with an armour arc, and the damn thing must of caught a sound contact of a PzIV moving toward the village in the open.

This incident has made me rethink using hunt for armour, especially in crucial situations like this. I think I would rather use slow or normal, that way, at least you are guaranteed getting to your waypoint with the minimum exposure and maximum heads up for a moving vehicle.

On a lighter note, my infantry blocking teams on my right did a good job, another example of the SMG's superiority in this terrain. I also have an infantry contact on my left, but I am prepared for it, and it has no armour support.

I get the impression my opponent is becoming frustrated, as his moves are becoming increasingly more risky, however, that's irrelevant if I cannot exploit this, but, apart from the tank incident, I feel I am playing this ok, or at least I think I'm annoying my opponent more than he is annoying me.

Thanks for adding the summaries Noob. Helps a lot with sorting through the replay.

It helps me as well, especially when it comes to relieving my frustration : -)

I feel your pain with the Hunt command. I rarely use it now because of that. I sure miss the CMBO "hunt and continue" vs "hunt and stop."

Yes, hunt and continue would be excellent. In hunts defence, I could of modified my armour only arc to focus on the target, that would of eliminated any distractions, so I need to be more aware of that next time I am in a similar situation, so I can't blame the game.....damn !!!

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 058 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

Good movie turn for me. The two infantry fire fights are going my way. The one on my right has stopped the Axis troops, and forced them to go to ground. If I can keep them where they are for two turns, they will be experiencing some extreme artillery pain. The fire fight on my left has nailed the initial Axis units, the Allied troops in this area are well armed, with a Thompson in each squad. I am reinforcing both fights, and I hope to win both.

The area I think he will move into with his PzIV's has been targeted with two 155mm strikes due in 5 mins. However, I am aware that he might change direction to support his men in the infantry fire fight on my left, so I must be ready to pull out of that area when I get the chance.

I have ordered two M10's to hunt the two PzIV's in the open. I am going to conduct an experiment with the M10 support team I am using to target artillery to cover the Stug mve on my rear. The unit are ubder small arms fire, so I am going to order them to crawl away, thus taking them out of the LOS of the end of the artillery target line. It will be interesting to see how inaccurate the strike is.

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 060 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

Yet again the "Hunt" command denies me a possible armour kill, and this time I had a tight armour cover arc. The M10 I had ordered to hunt forward to engage the PzIV at the back of the map stopped almost as soon as It started. This is the second possible armour kill I have been denied by the hyper sensitive hunt command, and one missed opportunity had a knock on effect resulting in the loss of one of my tanks, and the possible denial of another one, or two enemy armour kills. I will now become an anti hunt activist, and campaign to get a "Hunt, then move again if the target has gone" modification made to the existing "Hunt" command.

Things are looking grim on my right, lots of enemy armour contacts, and the enemy infantry is chewing up my meagre infantry defence, it's now down to the artillery barrage that is under a minute away. I think I am going to have to set a target for my 155's on my current dug in position, then evacuate, leaving the AA guns to their fate. I am tempted to dismount them, but I'm too curious to see how they perform, and I would only be delaying the inevitable, given the fact that I get no infantry reinforcements in this scenario.

Mt left is doing ok, I am going to try one more time to kill a PzIV with the M10 I have in that area, then I think I will pull out of that area all together, and regroup.

I'm afraid the whole operation could be over after this battle, as, If I lose the hex, I have no infantry reinforcements to support the armour reinforcements I am getting the next PzC turn. In retrospect, I should of chosen a better scenario, at least one that gave the allies more reinforcements, however, as a bit of fun in the snow, this has been most entertaining, and educational, so, now I've been blooded, bring on CM Bulge,

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 062 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

Ahhhh Combat Mission.....one minute agony, next minute ecstacy. This turn I get lucky, I had cancelled the move path of a bogged M10, which consequently meant it was in the perfect position to slam a round in the flank of a Stug that conveniently parked up next to it. Even better is that it has a comrade, a comrade with its flank also exposed, so I have ordered the M10 to move fast a few metres to get a LOS on it, two Stug kills in two turns would be excellent.

The infantry push on my right toward the AA positions slows somewhat, which means the artillery strike should start to fall right on them next turn, fingers crossed it will be reasonably accurate. I have ordered a 155mm strike where I think his PzIV's in that area will appear. Now I have to determine where he intends to move the three PzIV's on my left. I suspect he will make a bee line to the AA positions, which I hope he does, as there are two 155mm strikes hitting that area in a few minutes. My FO is earning his pay this battle.

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 064 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

This is one of those turns that makes you realise just what a stonking game CM is. Finally my AA batteries get in on the action. I have three that can lay area fire along the suspected enemy line of advance. Right on cue, the Axis infantry run into a fire storm of artillery and AA fire, and what a storm it is. I'm confident that this wall of fire will deter any more advances from this direction, however I will keep up the fire for one more turn, just to put the stopper on.

On my left there is good news, it looks like the three PzIV's that were potentially a threat to my AA position have decided to pursue my units in the vicinity, this will take a major threat away from my main defensive position. I will need to evacuate that force from the area and hope his tanks get immobilised in the pursuit. I have sent two M10's to take on the PzIV at the back of the map.

noob,

Having the same problem as Seedorf81. I download and then try to open or play but it defaults to a player that won't recognize the ema file.

Must be operator error on my part, but I can't figure out how to get them to play.

Suggestions are welcome. Following the action from your narrative but seeing would be more fun.

Thanks,

Heinrich505

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 066 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

A relatively quiet turn for a change. All I can do now is wait for my opponent to push toward the AA guns with the armour he has in the forest. I have two 155mm artillery strikes due in the next few minutes, and two static M10's looking for an opportunity shot.

My left hand side force continues to fall back. I'm content knowing these units are continuing toi draw away three tanks, and supporting infantry away from my main line of defence.

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 068 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

In this movie turn, I move an M10 10m forward to get a LOS on the PzIV at the back of the map. The enemy tank is distracted by an AA gun that has opened up on it, so I should get one unnoticed shot at it. Still no push from the Axis armour near the AA gun position, my opponent seems to be manoeuvring his armour so as to enter the fray in one sweep. Now it is just a matter of waiting for my 155's to let rip in two turns from now.

My orders for the next turn are to move two M10's back toward the line of AA guns in anticipation of the Axis armour. I will continue to fall back on my left. Some Axis infantry have infiltrated some buildings in the village, so I have ordered a 155mm two gun strike with a 70m area fire circle to hit their positions in 5 mins.

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 072 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

This is it folks, the big push. He sends his tanks in without infantry support. I have either forced my opponent to make a risky move, or he sucks at CM :- ) Unfortunately he has moved his armour out of the area fire circle of my 155's, so lets hope they are inaccurate. My FO buys it, but the strikes are still pending, so that's ok.

His other armour force continues to chase my other units. Thankfully, he did not decide to add these units to the attack on my foxhole positions, thus creating a battle on two fronts, so now I am free to concentrate on the enemy armour to my front. If I can kill the three tanks he has at the foxholes, I should be able to hold my position against the infantry he has in the village.

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 074 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

I lose another M10, but I bag another Stug. Looking at the situation at the foxhioles, there is one Stug advancing toward my remaining M10's. which is good. The PzIV remains in its position, so I'm hoping for combat immobilisation, which means a kill as far as the operation is concerned.

The other PzIV that has been lurking around at the back of the map makes an appearance. So I have a Stug and PzIV versus one shaken M10, and one immobilised M10. I do have two operational AA guns, so one will engage the Stug, while the other tries to knock out the possibly immobile PzIV directly in front of it.

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 076 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

The PzIV still does not move, so I think it is immobile. I lose some AA crew, and a 30 cal that were pinned in some craters. There is some smoke blocking a possible LOS from an M10 to the Stug, but it will take a turn or two to clear. Axis infantry start appearing, I have a few men that may be able to hold them off, but I doubt it. My only hope lies in another 155mm strike I have coming down in that area in two turns.

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 078 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

The end is nigh. I have just done a quick casualty count, and I have 82 men left out of 242, which means I am five casualties from sustaining 68% casualties, which drops me below the 33% rule.

When the headcount in a CM battle for a participating sides total forces drops below 33%, the forces must evacuate the hex during their next PzC turn. So, I will call a ceasefire as soon as I hit 77 men remaining.

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 080 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

I'm bugging out from the foxhole position. The position is untenable, so I am bailing out my immobile tank crews, and pulling what's left of my infantry out of the area. I am going to try and link up with the forces I have at the back of the map.

This battle has exposed a flaw in the system regarding exit zones for defending forces. I was only allowing one for the defender, however when one considers that if the Allied forces can exit to the empty hex at B, then they should be able to exit to the empty hex at A.

BaraqueCMmapsetupandexitzones1_zps912786c8.jpg

Therefore, I am going to allow defending units to have exit zones for "all" empty hexes adjacent to the defenders hex. So, for the purposes of this game, I will pretend there is an exit zone to hex A, as shown below.

BaraqueCMmapsetupandexitzones2_zpsd70f4e68.jpg

I will now move all my forces to the area where I should of had an exit zone, then call a ceasefire.

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 084 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

Once I get the forces nearest to the map edge into the virtual exit zone, I am going to call a ceasefire. This means abandoning the units I have in the centre, but I don't think it's worth the time trying to extricate them, given that my opponent knows about the new exit zone, and will no doubt place a screen to stop them.

Baraque de Fraiture movie turn 096 is available here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Ab6QkVaB6OTW4wWHRNTkRJYXM&usp=sharing

I had to post this latest turn, very amusing, exactly the sort of weird situation operational play throws up. My fleeing troops run past an immobilised Stug, it's just sat there with my men barely 40m away on its rear. I could try and take it out with grenades or a satchel charge, but I want to save as many of my men as possible at this juncture, and there are Axis infantry in the vicinity.