Dead mans corner - St Come du Mont

Interesting little website:-

Dead mans corner museum

http://www.paratrooper-museum.org/us/DMC.html

101st v 6th FJ, must have been a deadly contest! Are there any scenarios or campaigns made for this battle area on the road to Carentan?

Am off to Normandy in a few weeks to tour all the sites, cant wait! It will be fascinating though i am sure it will be sobering too.

Jaeger Jonzo

If you get a chance that museum, though small, is well worth a visit. As indeed are many of the small privately owned museums scattered throughout the combat zone.

Is this your first trip to the Normandy battlefields? If so I recommend thorough planning beforehand; there is just so much to see that without a good plan you'll run out of time. I'd also recommend taking along some of the modern books on individual actions that you are interested in. The Battleground Europe series published by Pen and Sword books are excellent, they are small, cheap, contain detailed descriptions and, crucially good maps showing positions and movements of the troops. With them you can stand on a position (e.g. Hill 112) and gain a much better understanding of what you are looking at and what happened there.

I am sure you'll enjoy Normandy, its a wonderful part of the world, the people are friendly, the food is good - especially if you avoid the main tourist traps - and the local booze is well worth the drinking (Normandy cider has no equal, but can be very strong).

thanks for the heads up Blackcat. Yes first time to Normandy region and I have been doing some planning! We are staying a few days near the Rainville/Pegasus bridge area, then couple of days right behind the British and Canadian beaches, then further few days over at Grandcamp Maisy area for the US beaches/museums. It will be a packed itinerary for sure! but hey, if I don't see it all it will give me an excuse to go out there again :)

I've got the Major Holts battleground guide book already and will get the maps to compliment. My missus will be fed up of the sight of bunkers and tanks! she also speaks fluent French which is handy. We are staying in proper Norman farmhouses too to soak up the region, should be a great trip.

Jaeger Jonzo

If you get a chance that museum, though small, is well worth a visit. As indeed are many of the small privately owned museums scattered throughout the combat zone.

Is this your first trip to the Normandy battlefields? If so I recommend thorough planning beforehand; there is just so much to see that without a good plan you'll run out of time. I'd also recommend taking along some of the modern books on individual actions that you are interested in. The Battleground Europe series published by Pen and Sword books are excellent, they are small, cheap, contain detailed descriptions and, crucially good maps showing positions and movements of the troops. With them you can stand on a position (e.g. Hill 112) and gain a much better understanding of what you are looking at and what happened there.

I am sure you'll enjoy Normandy, its a wonderful part of the world, the people are friendly, the food is good - especially if you avoid the main tourist traps - and the local booze is well worth the drinking (Normandy cider has no equal, but can be very strong).

Agreed the Battleground Europe series is excellent. I have the MG series time to start reading!