New book for the Ost Front fans - Der Panzer Graf

A chap called Ray Bagdonas is just finishing off a book about Count Von Strachwitz. I'm pretty chuffed as I co-operated with my mate Charlie Meconis in research about this chap. Der Graf was implicated (and was involved) in the plot to kill Hitler and narrowly survived a car 'accident' shortly after. His son is still alive and Charlie was in touch with him. Fascinating character and the book fills a large gap in the history of German armoured commanders of WWII.

It's called the Devil's General' and it's available on Amazon USA for pre-order.

Rommel never favored assassinating Hitler. He wanted to have him arrested and put on trial. When Rommel's complicity in the conspiracy was made known to Hitler he was pressured to commit suicide. Wiki:

Rommel had specified that no political paraphernalia were to be displayed on his corpse, but the Nazis made sure he was fully festooned with swastikas.

OK, but there seems to have been a lot of posthumous whitewashing of Rommel's political reputation too. Whether he was a Nazi Party member or not, and even if he wasn't a true believer in the ideology, he was an opportunist who made the most of his favored status with Hitler. I think Rick Atkinson's "The Guns at Last Light" does a good job in portraying Rommel warts and all. I think there's even some quotes from Rommel's letters home to his wife that show him spouting all the ardent party line stuff.

There have been some attempts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_attempts_on_Adolf_Hitler

The English article is a bit short on why they all failed. If you can, read the German one. Btw while reading all the coincidences why they failed it feels like a strange Dr.Who plot where Hitler has to survive to May '45 to save the universe...

This guy is my favourite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Georg_Elser

After Elsers attempt security was tightened and only the military had access to the necessary means for the job. Since many of the higher echelons in the Wehrmacht where of nobility it is no coincidence that later attempts were organized by those.

Another lengthy list (in German):

http://www.geschichtsthemen.de/attentate_chronik.htm

Not too convinced on the accuracy of the wiki list. I've got a copy of a translation of the transcript of Strachwitz's interrogation by the US military (it's dated 47) and although he details a plot in which he would kill Hitler the attempt was never made by him due to Hitler not sticking to the planned itinerary and then Strachwtitz being wounded once more. In it he does detail his involvement with various individuals looking to 'remove' Hitler from power.