ATGM Ambush scenario

Hi, In above scenario I play as syrians.

Had no trouble defeating the Bradleys. I mistakenly thought it would then be easy to kill the attacking infantry as I had 2 PKM machine gun teams, 1 recoiless team & a platoon waiting for them.

But even thought the US troops were running over open ground toward me they always win. In fact I am not even able to cause 1 single casualty! Playing the scenario many times. Its like they are supermen!

Please help, I am doing something very stupid or there is an issue.

Many thanks.

The platoon of infantry and 1 PKM are on top of the hill, so they can shoot down on them. And the other PKM is below the hill on the far right.

I would of thought the 2 PKM would of been able to hit at least some of them, but they always miss. The US infantry then shoot back and always hit them.

Not what I was expecting, especially as I always shoot first but still miss.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, given that the PKM teams are green they wont do much from distance. IMO the smartest thing you migh try here is that after taking out the bradleys, your infantry should ideally be placed on the extreme flanks behind little mounds. When the US inf runs trough the middle near the road you should look to shoot them in their backs. Use your HQ units also to do this.

Also MGs aren't nearly as effective in CMSF as they are in the CMx2 WWII titles. This is partly because MG simulation has been improved since CMSF and partly because MGs in CMSF are deliberately toned down in effectiveness to account for wider spacing between individual soldiers in modern military doctrine.

CM keeps the soldiers in a squad within two or three action spots when in reality they would be spaced farther apart to minimize casualties from explosions and MG bursts. To compensate for the CM engine's limits on soldier spacing they toned down the lethality of explosions and the accuracy of MGs. Hopefully in CMSF2 this gets resolved in a better way.

Just tried this scenario myself from the Syrian side. First attempt didn't go so well as I overestimated my AT-4 operators ability to hit the rapidly moving bradleys. 2nd attempt resulted in the US surrendering. Once the bradley's were dealt with I wasn't shy about using my remaining ATGMs against the enemy infantry. I don't think this is particularly gamey as in real life the atgm teams would have been able to withdraw in the face of advancing foot sloggers and if withdrawal wasn't an option (as in the game) then I doubt they would have hesitated to use their missiles in this manner.