4th of July USA vs Brits battleship battle QB opponent wanted.

Hey guys,

I want to play a USA Vs Brit QB meeting engagement hopefully against someone in the UK, only rule is you gotta bring a battleship. I saw Battleship and American Warships recently and have been on a battleship kick ever since, but no CM battles with 'em yet. If I don't find someone soon I'll be out of time for today, which would be OK, but it would be nice to get some early fireworks ;)

Thanks for reading anyway!

"You Americans do not realize what formidable warships you have in these four battleships. We have concluded after careful analysis that these magnificent vessels are in fact the most to be feared in your entire naval arsenal. When engaged in combat we could throw everything we have at those ships and all our firepower would just bounce off or be of little effect. Then we are exhausted, we will detect you coming over the horizon and then you will sink us."

-Soviet Fleet Admiral Sergei I. Gorshkov,1985- Quote after watching the Iowa in a NATO exercise

hehe fun quote

"You Americans do not realize what formidable warships you have in these four battleships. We have concluded after careful analysis that these magnificent vessels are in fact the most to be feared in your entire naval arsenal. When engaged in combat we could throw everything we have at those ships and all our firepower would just bounce off or be of little effect. Then we are exhausted, we will detect you coming over the horizon and then you will sink us."

-Soviet Fleet Admiral Sergei I. Gorshkov,1985- Quote after watching the Iowa in a NATO exercise

He was just trying to lull us into a false sense of security. In a real all-out war, they would have dropped a nuke. QED.

Michael

Even without a nuke, some of the Russian shipkillers packed a horrific punch (might not sink a BB with one, but they didn't come in singletons when you're talking High Seas Fleet engagements...). Even back in '85. He was disimulating. Or being sarcastic. ;)

cool breeze,

Hope you've got lots of men and toys, for if that battleship lands even one round on target, you're going to be in a world of hurt. Back in CMx1, I dropped a 14" round on my foe's troops in buildings and basically wiped out a company in wood buildings. Pretty much obliterated the block. Amazing, considering I had a Green FO and was terrified the idiot would drop a round short and obliterate my guys!

Regards,

John Kettler

Yeah, battle ship barrages are wild. Thankfully my men have never been under one but they are impressive to watch. In an earlier test match to the 20 000 point battle my friend and I played he used a battle ship to level the town. My force was just about to attack when the rounds started. We waited.

Sounds like you got really lucky Ian :) I kinda wish he had hit tho, cause taking a BB to a QB is so cool. I did manage to get that BB battle on the 5th vs. my regular opponent. Some how I was the brits tho, a bad start ;) luckily I nailed him with my BB with a 5 minute delay strike on his side of the town objective. He says it got about 80 percent of his infantry. I had a spectator so instead of playing my usual cautious game I charged my 3 Churchills into the ruins to smash the survivors, while the smoke and dust blocked the view to his Shermans on the hill. I knew it was a risky move but I didn't expect to lose all 3 without them doing anything. Infantry got one or 2 and tanks got the other 1 or 2. at that point I didn't think my PIATs might win vs his 4 or 5 Sherman's and was ready to surrender, but we waited for his BB to come in, which I dodged, but still needed to surrender. Kinda silly for me to let nailing his whole infantry force not win me the game.

He was just trying to lull us into a false sense of security. In a real all-out war, they would have dropped a nuke. QED.

Michael

This made me wonder how hard would it be to hit a Iowa BB with a nuke? How close would it have to explode to destroy it? I know we tested nukes vs some of our ships at one point and I wonder how these results relate to the Iowas, but it seems much to unpleasant at the moment to research these things. I guess it might be classified but does anyone know if the Russian anti ship missiles or US cruise missiles come in nuke variety? Seems like it might be hard to hit one with an ICBM but I think its obvious I have no idea.

Sounds like you got really lucky Ian :) I kinda wish he had hit tho, cause taking a BB to a QB is so cool.

Gee thanks:) The ironic thing was it was his own Achilles that saved me. I was already to go and move out when on of his TDs KO'ed a Royal Tiger that was scouting the access point. That caused me to pause and setup an artillery call to deal with those TDs. After a few minutes the big stuff started raining in. If he had just kept his TDs out of site for a few more minutes I would have been right under the barrage.

Kinda silly for me to let nailing his whole infantry force not win me the game.

Oh now that does suck.

I guess it might be classified but does anyone know if the Russian anti ship missiles or US cruise missiles come in nuke variety? Seems like it might be hard to hit one with an ICBM but I think its obvious I have no idea.

I know nothing about the Russian weapons but, I strongly suspect that they can. Yes, the US cruise missiles can carry nuclear warheads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSM-N-9_Regulus_II)