Arty problems, and Ammo problems.

Just played a HTH game (Deville) where I noticed a few things that seemed rather odd.

1. I had a Veteran, +1 FO team with clear LOS to the target. I adjusted their fire three times. When the full mission finally fell . . . all of the rounds were about 100 yards from the linear target. They landed in an empty field.

I've seen this happen before but never thought much of it because I was playing the AI. This time I was playing a person so, naturally, it mattered.

2. I had one split team with 30(!) panzerfausts. How is this possible? I thought perhaps I could ration these out to other teams but that was not possible. No wonder these guys were "tired" all the time. Of course, when it came time to use one of those fausts, they missed and were greased within seconds.

3. I had a HMG team reduced to one guy. This guy must've been REALLY strong because he continued to carry the teams 2000+ rounds. This was helpful because I was able to reload a nearby LMG team which had also been reduced to one guy. This guy must've been a puny girly-man because he could only carry 50 rounds. That's about one belt, I figure.

Has anyone else reported these bugs?

The arty one has been reported. Have you got save games? One of the bughunters might find them useful, so don't junk 'em.

I've never seen the PF one. It's probably worth saying what version you're playing, and what formation you found the anomaly in, scenario or whatever...

HMG teams reduced to a single guy do have "superior load carrying abilities". They do tire more quickly than the full team. It could be contended that HMGs on their tripods shouldn't really be portable by one guy; the Germans would then have an advantage with their MG42s, since they can be unhooked from the tripod and used as LMGs whereas the Vickers types can't really (Sgt Rock-alikes excepted :) ). Instituting a comprehensive inventory system including ammo caches would let such discontinuities be better modelled.

I was his opponent I still have the saved games if needed, although I would only give his saved games due to using a common password that I use for mine. In the future I'll start using a different password specifically for CM PBEM's. Although his saved games won't mean much if you don't have his password, but if he deleted his saves already and you can get in contact with him, I would gladly give out the save files.

And I really didn't mind the artillery falling into the middle of the field, although I may be a little biased about it in this particular instance.

Yes the first one is simply the variant of faust, which is also its range in meters.

The ammo one I figure to be because the HMG team. You see BFC had to introduce a workaround for HMG teams, and indeed heavy weapons teams like mortars, since this is a game. IRL the man at the gun, once hit, would die, and someone would have to go over to the gun. In CM, the gun goes to the next guy, and so on. The reason was complex issues with AI, the game, etc. In the end this means if theres one guy left in the team he can still move the gun (or mortar around) and since HMG teams are probably supposed to be able to carry around more rounds than a regular team the one guy is allowed to do so. Of course this doesnt make a lot of since, I could see variations (slight) in amounts to account for different men's strengths, but 50 rounds vs 2k is a lot. Still it is a game..

Still, in CM1, if you were down to 1 man, your HMG was immobilised.

When crew were killed, you were ok ammo-wise until you moved - then the rounds dropped off dramatically.

A fudge to allow the one man to carry the gun is understandable, but a line of code to reduce ammo by 1/<starting crewmen in this location> per man-down IF you move should be possible.

Baneman I had forgotten about that from CMx1. Perhaps we should agitate for them to reinstate that - 1 man and the HMG is immobile.

I'd love to, but .. y'know... you can't say anything in CM1 was better. :D <joking>

Also, the Allied players would be bummed because the Germans could hoik theirs off the tripod and still use it as an LMG ... Then Charles would complain that he has to code 2 different outcomes, one for MG34/42 and one for all other HMG's.

And the ammo thing wouldn't even have been addressed yet ;)

So note that I never said that it would be cool to reinstate that. Not me ! :D

well CMx1 had a couple of features that were cool missing now, that would be great in this series. But there's still no comparison between the two, x2 wins hands down for me simply because the 1:1 soldier modelling. I love the tanks but the infantry is always the biggest draw for me at this level.

Sorry for being late to my own thread. Computer was down for the last few days. Anyhow, the unit involved in the arty mishap was a German FO team. I do not have the saves. If it happens again I will make sure to save the turn.

My game is all patched up to the latest version . . . 2.01, I think?

Now I get it about the panzerfaust. Surprised I didn't think of that earlier.

The HMG team thing really does seem pretty silly. I'm not a coder but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to fix . . . but what do I know? The "50 round" thing also doesn't seem to make too much sense. It seems that a guy should be able to carry (at least) twice that much on his person, along with the gun.