CM Player Ranking

I am currently completing a web site (about 60% done) that will perform the following for Combat Mission, and would like the group's feedback on whether this is something of interest:

1) Simple list of PBEM & TCP/IP opponents.

2) Individual Win/Loss recording

3) Scenario Win/Loss information for axis & allies.

4) Recording your Win/Loss vs. the CPU opponent.

5) Formula to determine player overall ranking that takes into account the ranking of other players defeated.

6) And more...

I really enjoy CM, and I hope some of the things I mention above can add to that great experience. Comments are welcome.

Regards,

Stryker

interesting that you've chosen to include games vs CPU as well.

Might I suggest a BBS and chat room as well. The chat room would help us find avaliable players now and the forum to talk trash and post warnings of cheater maps/players etc.

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

Very good idea, don't want to do the work myself, but very very good idea, very commendable.

Only difference I think should be made is that it should only be player vs player. I can do things versus players that i'd never ever do against the cpu.

And as for the not all wins are total wins thing, can you do something where, you tally up all the possible win and loss types (total victory, marginal victory etc etc whatever they are) and assign them a percentage, like total victory is of course 100%, but like a minor tactical victory would be like 55%; while a minor loss would be 45%, so like each player would have a bar under his name, with the average win %. For a more detailed account of wins or losses simply click on the name or bar for that character and it'd pop up.

Not sure if this idea is in your power, not even a clue how to do it, but sign me up! i'm in for sure.

You would have to consider number of games played too. What if someone only played 5 PBEM games, and won 4 and got a draw for the last. And another person won 12 and lost 8. You will never know what the person with only 5 Games would have done if they played 20 Games (possibly they were just very lucky, or maybe they were very skilled?) If there is going to be a ranking system, it has to be within so many games. Otherwize, people with less games under their belt will have an advantage over those who have more games. What about challenges? If someone refuses to play a person just because they only have played 'weaker' players and don't want their score to be decreased? I don't think that this will happen much as most people here are fairly honourable, but, we must take this into account.

I was also looking into doing this witha friend - the formula we would be using would be of similar in style to chess rankings - taking into account opponent rank as well as incativity etc. These would be complimenting many factors of CM performance not only win/loss ratio but also The quality of leadership involved based upon various aspects of the AAR with relation to the enemy. OVerall ranking will be determined through all games played vs an opponent - tournament or ladder. Im trying to get it developed before the holidays ends because school starts soon. If I can pull it off - I'll Make a post about it - the formula is there and I've started writing a program to automate but still in progress.

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

billcarey and I are about %50 done developing

CM Scenario's and Operations Homepage-

Its going to be an archive site for DYO and DIY maps, plus a discussion board (what people think would make cool scenarios) and a review board where you all can review scenarios and reply to them (they're going to be the same style bbs as this page uses)...

we hope to go live as soon as we get the BBS installed, although we can't do much until the game ships (review the demo scenarios maybe??? wink.gif)

My *initial* thought for a ranking system goes something like this:

1) 10pts for a win

2) -4pts for a loss

3) 1pt for every win more than losses on opponents you have defeated (no negatives)

4) Ties do nothing

5) Games against the CPU are not counted

6) Level of victory does not matter?

example: Your record is 2-1, the opponents you have defeated are 5-1 and 2-5. Your point total is 20pts.

This 'formula' does a couple of things. It rewards the player who plays more - I think inherently the more you play the better you get. It gives you more points for defeating good players. It is dynamic - your point total can change as your previous opponents win/lose. It encourages playing different opponets - if you keep beating the same person you will get less points as their win/loss record gets worse. And finally, it does not really hurt someone with a good record from playing someone with a bad record.

Also, the site uses all Active Server Pages (ASP). This will allow each player to update their info, start games, end games, etc.., without my involvement. The HTML oriented sites for CM are already out there and do an excellent good job of housing various CM content. I have no desire to replace those functions. This will not be a commercial site, I am only doing this because I enjoy the game.

Regards,

Stryker

Guest scurlock

Leadeaters still alive? They had such a system for several PBEM games. Perhaps a new ladder could be built if they'd agree to it. Could save a lot of time getting a CM PBEM club off the ground.