Shock Force Purchase Help

I enjoy playing CMBN but was previously not fond of the game mechanics in CMSF Demo. Tried it a few years ago.

I'd like to get some experience with modern equipment (NOT WW2) and think that CMSF could be a good platform for some tactical exercise with more up to date troops and weapons.

Can anyone suggest what software I should purchase? Though I may need all of the below.

-CMSF?

-Marines + Brit + Nato Bundle?

-and v1.21 Retail upgrade (Paradox)?

Also can anyone recommend:

1) Good or great references for company or platoon tactics?

2) Good company and/or platoon scenarios?

Thanks for your suggestion Stikkypixie,

I am hoping for realism. Looking for a platform to gain experience with modern RL tactics. Was seeking some feedback if it would be best to get the latest modules and upgrade.

Well the patches are free (as long as you buy from Battlefront) regardless of the modules. The modules only add content. So for deciding whether you want a module or not, I'd say pick the one with an army you're interested in :)

Is there any realism mods out there? or is the repository the only place for mods

I am not aware of any realism mods or other places to look for mods than the repository.

If you seek maxium realism, why not just play on the hardest game mode? Also in my experience, CMSF is one of the best realistic tactical games out there. I sometimes spend hours only thinking of how to find the tactically best solution for a problem without actually "playing" the game :D.

Thanks for your suggestion Stikkypixie,

I am hoping for realism. Looking for a platform to gain experience with modern RL tactics. Was seeking some feedback if it would be best to get the latest modules and upgrade.

Just to clarify that:

There are no CMSF upgads that change the game engine as there are for CMBN. There are only the modules wich add content and patches wich fix errors. The patches are for free and the latest is 1.32 AFAIK.

CMSF plus all the modules would be money well spent.Truly epic and literally hours and hours and hours of content.I always go back to it from time to time for a break from WW2.The firepower at your disposal is amazing,the trick with the game is trying not to lose any of those expensive toys.

1) Good or great references for company or platoon tactics?

In the forum i found these helpful posts and threads:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=82927

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1413819&postcount=21

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1414775&postcount=55

Then of course there are the very helpful Armchair General CMBN tactic turorials. Although they are about WW2 tactics, the basics still works with CMSF. Below is the link to episode three, there are 5 videos in total.

I also found tanits NATO walkthough videos to be very helpful: